Gestational Diabetes

Hi mummies, I am first time mom-to-be and recently diagnosed with GDM by my gynae. For that one month before taking the glucose test, I've changed my diet to more lean proteins and fresh veggies (but with a cheat day once a week/or every 2 weeks - just burger/spring chicken/ less sugar milk tea without pearls), however I did not do any exercise as I am constantly fatigue with nausea and vomitting. Before pregnant, I always go for health screening annually and my glucose level was good. 1) I would like to ask, even with a thorough healthy diet and proper exercise regime (at least 30 mins a day), will I get rid of GDM? 2) Could GDM be genetics? My maternal family have history of GDM (grandma, mum and aunties) and they have to inject insulin daily during their pregnancy days and sadly, they become diabetic even after giving birth. If I control my GDM now, will I become diabetic even after giving birth? 3) I feel bad passing this risks to my baby, will my baby get diabetes as well? Is there any mama who have defeated GDM and deliver a healthy baby? 4) My maternity insurance is not finalised as the underwriters keep questioning my cysts which I declared previously. However, it was accepted recently (before my GDM diagnosis), but they have not generate the policy contract for me to sign and I have declared that I have GDM to my agent... what are the chances of me being insured under GE maternity insurance? Or are there any maternity insurance able to insured mama with GDM risks? #advicepls #pleasehelp #firstbaby

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

GDM only happens during pregnancy, you can be perfectly healthy before pregnancy and still have GDM. It's more genetics and not something you can avoid by diet alone unfortunately. But the good thing is you can keep it in control with diet. The only risk of GDM is the baby will be bigger and thus makes delivery more difficult, but it's not something that can be transferred to baby. It will go away once you've given birth. Don't worry! And you can ask your doctor all of these questions too for assurance.

Read more