Giving up seats in public transport

Hi mummies! I am currently 23 weeks and having a visible round belly(average body size). I like to wear body hugging dresses which makes my belly even more bigger and noticeable. However, I always find it hard for people to automatically give up seats for me (most of time people are not on the phone or sleeping, I am pretty sure they make an eye contact with me when I entered). I have hard time balancing especially on buses, mrt and I am too shy to ask for a seat. Normally my mother or my husband have to make a big fuss on how inconsiderate people are, then some will just stand and walk away. I try not to go out as much as possible even so, I will normally take grab, but once in a while I will need to run an errand and have to take public transport. Since young, I have always give up my seats to elderly and pregnant ladies that's why I am quite shock at how our society behaves now. Do mummies experiencing this as well?

33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am extremely thankful to the 30% who offers me a seat, but 70% of the time people just try to ignore me. There was once after a long day of walking due to work, carrying multiple bags and I got on a packed MRT without even a handle/bar to hold on to, and nobody even bothered to give me something to hold on to so I actually broke into tears. It had been a long day. I am too shy too to ask for a seat tho, especially since those in priority seats are usually elderly. I have given up my priority seat to people who need it more too, like a parent holding a baby with another small child clinging to them, as my station is just a few stops away and I was feeling well. I wish society would be more considerate.

Read more

Even previously when I’m at 23 weeks pregnant not really all gave up their seats to me. So I learn to keep rubbing my tummy then got people “automatically” gave up their seats to me. I even met a woman hit my tummy with her handbag when I’m standing outside a shop looking on items to buy.. And a dad saw his daughter ran and almost hit onto me without even apologies when I am so obvious pregnant!! Frustrating isn’t it? That why my hubby tried to accompany me if I wants to go out especially during this Covid climate..

Read more

It’s so normal... nowadays ppl will never give up their seat.. so what I did previously was to ask.. As I know I can’t afford to have any mishap in public transport.. Even now when I bring my boy in stroller.. when we board the bus.. ppl standing like a statue at the corner of the standing area and not willing to move always for me to park my boy.. so the same, I will have to politely asked or even tell them that I need that corner to park my boy in the stroller..

Read more

Yes, am having the same situation. A lot of time ppl see me an eye then continue sitting or watching their hp. i did not ask for the seat as still can endure, but am prepare to ask for a seat whenever i need. Until week 32 my tummy getting apparently bigger then only I get the seat. By d way, I don't blame the public as it is sometimes really hard to judge if we are pregnant or just being fat... lol😅

Read more

my experience is totally different. sometimes I just want to take 2 busstops and people still give up seat to me even when I insisted that I didn't need. there was once, 2 aunties in their 70s offered seats for me when I was about 20+ weeks; it was so amusing 😅 now when the bus is crowded, the driver would ask me to sit down and those on the priority seats have no choice but to give up seats to me.

Read more
3y ago

ya she said 小妹啊,坐下来比较安全!

I have publicly reprimanded by an elderly woman because she insisted I did not deserve to sit in the reserve seat. I explained I was pregnant and she could see my bulging tummy when she was nearer. I did offer my seat to her but she walked away. It helps to stand in front of the reserve seat. Most people will offer their seats to you. There are still kind souls around :)

Read more
3y ago

ppl will see u n play hp or close eye

There’s a new initiative where you can get a sticker or lanyard from the station staff so that people give up their seats for you. The initiative basically tells people you need a seat, but then again if people are intentionally not giving up seat, then there’s nothing much we can do. I will normally just stare at them till they feel uncomfortable. :P

Read more
3y ago

My 37 week big tummy did not manage to get me a seat. Cos ppl choose to turn blind to it. A sticker is nothing to help if facing these bunch of ppl.😞 My hubby once politely ask a guy to give up his seat, n this guy did. Apparently to this guy, he did a good thing to give up his seat, when asked to. Not on his own initiative. Our society has changed.

I was once told by an Aunty who is fully mobile and capable to give up my seat for her. She told me that the priority seats are for aunties like her. I had to tell her I was pregnant. But because she said the priority seat was for aunties, I stood up, and went to the seat at the back and sat down. Aunty was embarrassed after that.

Read more
Super Mum

Even when I was 30 weeks plus sometimes I still didn't get seat 😅 it's just luck. I used to be quite frustrated but got used to it I guess, sometimes it's because train is super full, sometimes because the people in reserved seats are staring at their phones or sleeping. I just resort to taking grab most of the time

Read more

me too... after my appointment at KKH ...me and my hubby will walk to Little India to buy food thn will take train to back ... Little India sta till Hougang... very seldom I will hv plc to sit ... even I was 37-39 weeks... 🤦🏻‍♀️not only train ,bus also same... 🤦🏻‍♀️