People are so rude towards pregnant women

I have a hard time whenever i go out of my house. I try to limit because people are so rude especially in Singapore. They literally ignore my belly knowing that im pregnant. Refuse to give way when walking and some even just bump into you knowing I need more space. #rant What are some experiences you mummies have and do you say or do anything to them?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am 6 months pregnant. Never once have anyone given me a seat... It's really disheartening. The government should do smtg if they want to improve the fertility rate. Make it easy for pregnant ladies to commute. In Dubai, there's a cabin specially for pregnant women/ladies. Perhaps the government can do smtg similar. People are so engrossed w their phone. They either don't look up till their station or hope someone else will give up their seats. I get so triggered when I see men, able men, young man sitting down at reserved seats and are completely clueless. Really feel like slapping them sometimes, shame on them for being so ignorant!

Read more

Same here! I am not sure if they are Singaporean or foreigners actually but… I do feel kind of annoyed when people saw & ignore my belly and refused to give way. In the end I’m the one giving way to them because I don’t want them to bump till my baby. Even when I queued to go up the escalator during peak hours while going to work, people can just recklessly cut queue in front of you and ignore the fact that you are carrying a baby. Not that I’m self entitled just because I’m pregnant but I just hope the community can be a bit more gracious to people in needs (not only pregnant moms) and allowing us to have more spaces.

Read more

I see it as 50-50! I don't usually travel out on peak hours, i go out on weekends and generally, people give way for priority seats in MRT immediately to me. i agree with the walking part, people tend to push. since I know they are in a rush, i tend to alight the train slowly and let the others walk and rush up first. in this way i wouldnt be putting myself at risk for them banging my stomach. literally an auntie being super kiasu and cut my way and knocked into my hand(thankfully) saw i was pregnant but she didn't even apologize. was so angry that i told her "u want u go first, don't need to push me." she got embarrassed.

Read more
TapFluencer

Unfortunately this will continue even after we give birth. Go shopping mall, people see family with stroller they will not give way either. Those with legs will use the lift and not give way to strollers. And some restaurants when they hear or see you with baby - they will prolong your waiting time for table! We need to voice out and make our “excuse me” loud to these inconsiderate and zero-EQ people.

Read more

Am a FTM, and it opened my eyes to how ungracious Singaporeans are. People don't bother when they see a very visibly pregnant lady standing in the bus/mrt. But when walking in a crowd I usually will put my hand outwards in front of my belly and push people away when they're too near. My temper and patience get worse during pregnancy, so I will really glare at them or call them out when they act blind.

Read more

Same here. Some singaporeans are so rude & oblivious. There were many times when I was in the train and nobody, NOBODY offered a seat. Some already saw me carrying my bag & just looked away or pretended to sleep. Lol. Not only that, some even pushed me just because I’m on the smaller side.