Giving up seats in public transport

Hi mummies! I am currently 23 weeks and having a visible round belly(average body size). I like to wear body hugging dresses which makes my belly even more bigger and noticeable. However, I always find it hard for people to automatically give up seats for me (most of time people are not on the phone or sleeping, I am pretty sure they make an eye contact with me when I entered). I have hard time balancing especially on buses, mrt and I am too shy to ask for a seat. Normally my mother or my husband have to make a big fuss on how inconsiderate people are, then some will just stand and walk away. I try not to go out as much as possible even so, I will normally take grab, but once in a while I will need to run an errand and have to take public transport. Since young, I have always give up my seats to elderly and pregnant ladies that's why I am quite shock at how our society behaves now. Do mummies experiencing this as well?

33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There’s a new initiative where you can get a sticker or lanyard from the station staff so that people give up their seats for you. The initiative basically tells people you need a seat, but then again if people are intentionally not giving up seat, then there’s nothing much we can do. I will normally just stare at them till they feel uncomfortable. :P

Read more
3y ago

My 37 week big tummy did not manage to get me a seat. Cos ppl choose to turn blind to it. A sticker is nothing to help if facing these bunch of ppl.😞 My hubby once politely ask a guy to give up his seat, n this guy did. Apparently to this guy, he did a good thing to give up his seat, when asked to. Not on his own initiative. Our society has changed.