Priority seats on mrt

Am 22 weeks pregnant and my bump is super obvious already. I also wear tight clothings to make it more obvious and rub my tummy often to show that I’m pregnant. I also stand in front of the priority seat to see if people do offer their seats but no. So far nobody offered any seats to me. Just feel so sad for the society. And realized that this is something that I feel strongly only after being pregnant. Because before I was pregnant I always gave up seats to pregnant women and elderly. So I thought that is what you should do and a norm. Being courteous as a human being with feelings. But everyone is so self entitled now that they don’t care, they just act they using phone etc. Plus what makes me disheartened is that those not giving up seats are ppl in 20-30s perfectly healthy adults who are not carrying heavy items , they just want a seat. Why should I be asking them for a seat if I have the priority to the priority seat as a pregnant woman? People should be more auto to give right? I think maybe Singapore or SMRT should increase this awareness cause I realized a lot of pregnant mummies are facing the same issue. And it’s also very dangerous for mummies to stand so long cause if leg to be swollen and fall risk! This is why pregnant mummies need the seats, and people should be educated on this.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i dont take MRT as frequently, but other mummies around me have also been complaining. So far I've only boarded the MRT once after I got pregnant (back then at ard 20 wks), was seated at the seat beside priority seat (my 60+ YO mum was seated in the priority seat). Then this uncle came and demanded I give up my seat to him. HAHAHA. My preggy bump was already pretty obvious back then. Bus rides are "safer" in a sense that as long you managed to get a seat, you usually wont get asked to give it up by the self-entitled "needy". But also don't expect anybody to give up their seats for you if you can't get one. Plus, if you are boarding at bus stops, you also need to be careful of taichi-master aunties and uncles, who may pull some weird moves on you just to shove you behind and cut your "queue" to board the bus first. My take on this is, nobody is obligated to give up their seats to us. If you really feel rather poorly and thinks you need to sit down, politely ask for it. Do also understand that some seemingly healthy youngsters might also be suffering from autoimmune diseases and other forms of chronic pain, and who knows they may really need the seat more than us. :)

Read more

Im experiencing it almost everyday bcoz im taking mrt to work. Most of the time students also take priority seat, or if priority seat alrdy occupied by old aunties/uncles then normal seat also nobody will give up. Now im 20weeks and so obvious bcoz tummy big for 3rd pregnancy. I have a friend who always with me go to work and she will look to those people so annoyingly, and then will look away. I just keep quiet even my friend saying that i need to ask for seat, bcoz hellooo if they really willing to give their seat they will even without asking. Most People nowadays are selfish or no heart at all. And mind you mostly they are MEN. Obviously they dont have wife or gf or mother who become pregnant or maybe they those people really not happy with their life coz they think they should take all privileges and become greedy.

Read more

Sadly, that is the reality now. Singaporeans now lack empathy and also courtesy. I have seen forums where people think that pregnant women are self entitled, only know how to make baby and some went as far as saying that pregnant women should not even take public transport. It’s sad but I guess Singaporeans are becoming more individualistic and selfish.

Read more

Yes me too! Im 21w and always with my toddler most of the time alone bc my husb working and we took transport so i have to carry her etc and despite all this nobody willing to give up their seat for me too pathetic us have to stand until someone alight from the priority seat then we can sit 🙄

11mo ago

Omg can’t believe it even with toddler also nobody giving up seats?! The society really so different now :(

yah even at 30 weeks i get aunties snatching my seats and pretending not to see me. it’s damn pathetic this society

11mo ago

Wah so far haven met anyone snatching seats, sg aunties also too much 😫

facing the same issue. they would just use phone all the way and act like they can't see 🥹

11mo ago

I keep thinking Isit think we fat but the body normal then the tummy so big I think quite obvious leh!! Purposely one. R