sleeping positions

Can all mothers give me advise on which position and how should I sleep during pregnancy. I read that its best to sleep on your side and never on your back to prevent stillbirth(which I Dun want to have). I am so used to sleeping either on my tummy or on my back.

27 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

TL;DR I concur with the commenters- you'll end up turning to whichever side that is more comfortable. Left/ right is okay; you'll roll to your sides at one point cause back sleeping will end up being uncomfy; try sleep aids to stay off your back. The long version: In all honesty, i would say sleep whichever position that you're most comfortable in, at least for 1st tri and up till some point in 2nd tri. I've always been a side sleeper but sadly I don't sleep very well on my left since my pregnancy started. The constant pressure of lying on my left hip is really uncomfortable/ borderline painful. It's natural to turn in your sleep. Your body will tell you when it's no longer comfortable staying on your back. Now I'm just a week shy of 3rd tri, I can say that sleeping on my back just doesn't feel great anymore. I feel more suffocated lying flat on my back without anything propping me. I do wake up to turn to my sides. I don't find lying on my front a great issue for me cause of my small bump. It really depends on your bump size, a lot of articles I've come across says front sleeping is more of a question of discomfort rather than it being harmful to the baby. I find that a long bolster helps to relieve some pressure off my back. I also use it to prop myself up when I want to chill lying on my back. You can consider that or a pregnancy pillow that is shaped to prevent back sleeping. There is also new evidence that sleeping positions in 1st and 2nd tri may not be impacting pregnancy outcomes as much as they were traditionally thought to. Also more studies in recent years that found that sleeping on left or right doesn't matter. Back sleeping is still generally discouraged for late pregnancy. I've included the research and articles I've read from. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-pregnancy-sleep/sleeping-on-back-may-not-lead-to-worse-pregnancy-outcomes-idUSKCN1VW2K4 https://www.nichd.nih.gov/newsroom/news/092019-pregnancy-sleep-position https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326534#avoid

Read more
Super Mum

Actually I just turned the whole night. Haha. I know the recommendation is to lie on the left side, but frankly, staying in the same position the whole night is really uncomfortable for me, so I just kept changing positions when I got uncomfortable. If you want to lie on your back for a while, prop yourself up with some pillows:) you’ll also feel less breathless that way in the 3rd trimester

Read more

https://www.medicalnewstoday./articles/326534 “As a woman reaches the second and third trimesters, it is ideal to sleep on the left side. Being in this position maximizes blood flow to the uterus without putting pressure on the liver.” Sleeping on the back puts pressure on the main blood vessels that deliver blood to the uterus. This pressure may decrease the oxygen supply to the fetus.

Read more

Tbh i enjoy sleeping on my back and sleeping on the sides tend to be more uncomfortable for me, probably cos of the position of the baby. But im scared of stillbirth so usually I will do my best to sleep on my side and I tend to wake up on my back. But it’s ok unless you start sleeping on the side. Put a pillow below your belly for comfort and support

Read more

During pregnancy especially at later stage, you don't feel comfortable sleeping facing up because of the baby inside. Sleeping side way is better, towards your left side is the best. You may want to get those pregnancy u shaped pillow as a good support to your side way sleeping. The shape comfortably support your heavy belly.

Read more
VIP Member

I also like to sleep on my back but during my pregnancy, I forced myself to sleep sideways (left or right) as long as it’s not on my back. But sometimes, I would sleep 3/4 on my back by placing a pillow on 1 side of my back.

Yes. I sleep on my back as that is the most comfortable position, prop abit of pillow underneath. If I turn to either side, baby keep kicking me and I will have a side ache once I stand up.

VIP Member

Gotta get used to sleeping on your sides, if possible, left side is usually the most comfortable. It took me a while to adapt from lying on my back to sleeping sides. Jia you! :)

Sleep on your side. Heard that left is the best but tbh you will turn and twist throughout the night. If you find yourself lying on ur back, just turn to the side.

VIP Member

I got a maternity pillow to support me when I sleep. It helps to keep me in the side lying position. If not, I tend to sleep on my back.