My mother in law has started telling my 3 yr old Indian mythological stories and my kid has started imagining and giving references to the characters. I don't see this as a good sign and do not wish him to be influenced. How do I control/stop the same?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Do not stop them, it's their right to pass the information they feel true. Your kid will eventually learn about the truth. What you can do is expose your kid to the world of books. He will learn good and bad stuffs but eventually filter all bad stuffs out. My brother was religious earlier but now he is an atheist. I am religious. This doesn't mean he is wrong or I am wrong. There are some good practises as well as some bad. We just don't need to give them a religious cover. I know this too. Consider your kid as a judge and he needs to know all the aspects of life before he takes a decision later.

Read more

You should not be worried about this at all. In fact I think you should be thankful that you MIL is giving so much time and attention to your child. So many of these stories have morals and teachings which are only beneficial to the child. And the fact that your child can relate to some of them and make references is commendable. You should be proud!! Story telling is the oldest form of teaching and widely practiced even today. Your kid is fascinated by them right now but as she grows up she will outgrow it.

Read more

don't worry so much. i am still wondering what you found in the stories that made you worried. while a lot of these stories may not immediately sound relevant in today's times, some of them do have good teaching too. you can ask your MIL to also emphasize on the teaching, or, when your child tells you the story, you can share the teaching yourself. let your child enjoy these years with grandparents, it is quite a precious bond too

Read more

Imagination is a beautiful world in a child's mind. From these, they learn life skills. They learn about consequences and the need to be responsible. Pls don't control or stop it. As ur kid grows,he will turn to other options automatically.