More like a rant than a question. Today, I pulled my toddler from his sports day because he got uncomfortable with the crowd and he became fussy, complained that he is hungry and didn't want to join in any activity. I took him out and prepared to leave when he went crying and shouting that he wanted to stay. I took his hand and went away but he continued to shout and parents and kids were looking at me like I'm some kind of a monster mom. I took him to a cafe and he continued to shout. One mother with a kid there was looking at me like what a horrible thing I did making my kid cry like that. I'm not a perfect person. I might be a horrible mom. But if you give in to your kids' every whims, fancies and requests, what do you teach them about life? That they can get away with anything. I want to teach my kid about responsibility, about holding on to your word and that not fitting is okay. So the least thing I want is for other parents to judge me. Okay, just tired I guess from looking after 2 kids the whole day. I guess I just need a holiday :-)

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

We all have our bad days. So sorry this happened. At that toddler age, he still doesnt understand about responsibility and keeping our word. Toddlers are all very self centered. They want what they want. And they want it now. They dont understand how their actions affect others cos their brain is not wired to think in another person's perspective. Only at the age of 4 onwards will they start to understand a little. So don't be too hard on urself. He's just being him. One tip if it happens again. Of cos u dont need to give in to his every demand and definitely need to teach him what's right and wrong and where boundaries are. It's always good to remove him from the situation to a more quiet place, wait for him to calm down and talk to him. He may throw a tantrum so wait for him to calm down first. I personally don't really care hw others look at me. They're not the ones raising my kid so i dont give a damn abt them la. You're doing great Ester! All mummies are awesome!

Read more
8y ago

No problem Ester, we've all gone through good and bad times. Next time you'll be advising another mummy! hehe you take care ok? The ParentTown community is really great...we all help one another. :)