Your Last Name, Your Choice

Hi, moms! I just want to share this very useful information to spread awareness and hopeful to empower us, women, more. Did you know that women have the option but are not obliged to change their last name and use their husband's last name after marriage? Yes, you've read that right. No law in the Civil Code nor jurisprudence forces us to do so. I have also attached here a memo for your reference. This might sound rare and inconvenient but let me tell you more. Changing last names once you get married is supposed to be an option, but tradition and status quo somehow forced us for centuries that once we get married, we ‘must’ use our husband's last name. This, once done, has no effect with the legitimacy of our children. They will have his last name, all the benefits, privileges, and recognition of being his own. It is just me and what I chose my name to be. In my case, I am very lucky to have a really supportive and understanding husband that it is not an issue for him that I keep my full maiden name. But why did I want to keep my full maiden name? Because I like my name as it is. I feel a lot empowered and stronger with my name, with all the things that I have gone through and overcame alone before I and my husband were even together. Also, I wanted to keep my last name in memory of my father who passed away when I was 11 years old and no one is keeping his last name but me. I love my husband so much, only God knows. I honor him and he honors me, definitely. I am his and he's mine, absolutely. I am faithful to him as he is to me, WITHOUT QUESTIONS. This is neither arrogance not pride. This is breaking traditions, knowing and understanding my rights, and exercising my freewill. I posted this for awareness, not to try to convince nor persuade anyone about anything. Again, it is always an option. We all have freewill, we use it. God bless us!

Your Last Name, Your Choice
1 Reply
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

i am using my maiden name on my social media doon ako kilala but alternate po ung married name ko. all my IDs are married name. thank you for the infos. 😊

5y ago

You're welcome! Thank you for appreciating it, too. Meanwhile, in my case, I personally requested sa updates na civil status lang ang ma-change from single to married. Nung una, hesitant sila kasi bihira or never pa nila na-ecounter 'yung ganung request. Pero when I showed them this mandate, they understood naman. So ayun, my IDs are still my full maiden name. :)