Hi moms , i've recently registered my 5yo son to childcare and its his first time goin to school , for the past 5yrs i've been taking care by myself so he is attached to me , and sending him to school is really a heartbroken part for him and me. Its difficult for me to go cause he is not use to going away without me around. Whenever i just left , teachers will hold him tightly and he will cry, so heartbreaking for me to just leave him... how does other moms leave their child ? Any tactic or anything that you tell your child ?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hey mummy, it's separation anxiety - for both you and your child :) I sent my son to childcare at 2 years old, and accompanied him for the first day of school. He was so clingy to me and refused to take part in his lessons, and we had to come home before nap time because he just wouldn't sleep there! I felt so bad because he has never been to school before that either, and even thought of withdrawing him since I was a WFHM anyways. The second day, the principal stepped in and told me to give him some time to get used to the teacher and his environment - so she told me to just leave him with his teachers and go for breakfast. I hand him over and reluctantly left, crying my whole way to breakfast and feeling lost the whole time! I thought the teachers would call me after lunch again, but the principal texted me that he was actually sleeping :O Fast forward, he's been in childcare for only 2 months (or 1.5 months if you count the sick leaves) - but he LOVES school so much now! He would grab his bag and shoes at night (I'm talking 10pm or sometimes 3am) and then fuss to go to school. 2yo or 5yo, I'd say you'd need to let to let go and trust in your son and the school :) What helps is to tell your son the things he'd be doing in school, and what time you'd be coming to fetch him home - start routines when dropping him off and fetching him, something simple like going to school together, a hug and kiss before leaving and reassuring him you'd be there at the end of the day :)

Read more

I always tell my boy that I will be back to fetch him. If you want to help him you need to suck it up and compose yourself. They know when we are insecure. They can feel us. You can do it dear.

VIP Member

tell and promise ur son that you will be back by what time. its the separation anxiety that making you two cry and feel upset. Dont worry about it. 5yo kids usually adapt pretty fast

7y ago

Thanks , i've already tried but he still wont let go of me , when we reached he will cling on me tightly because one of the teacher ever took him away just like that even when his crying and calling out for me so he dont really trust anyone now

One of the most important thing I learned was when I send my son to school and if he cries not to look back. Be firm and assure him. Keep it short and sharp and take your leave