Remedy for sore throat during pregnancy

Mommies and mommies to be, what do you generally take to soothe a sore throat? I woke up with a bad sore throat this morning.. Does seeing a GP help?

24 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hi... you might wanna try some of the remedies suggested below Home remedies for strep throat during pregnancy 1) Gargle with warm salt water to help your sore throat feel better. 2) Avoid cold liquids, which can aggravate a sore throat. Instead, try caffeine-free herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon tea with cinnamon. ... 3) Get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.

Read more
VIP Member

Honey lemon and warm water. I didn’t know I couldn’t take lozenges during pregnancy - lucky I only took one. Doc said must ride it out and use own body to fight. Hang in there mummy. Just try to rest more if possible. (I myself have been sick 2 weeks already and cannot take meds cos of pregnancy)

Super Mum

Try gargling with salted warm water. I went to see the GP when I had fever and sore throat during my pregnancy.. GP gave me medications and lozenges that were safe to eat during pregnancy. https://www.healthhub.sg/live-healthy/997/pregnancy-safe-medication-during-pregnancy-and-breastfeeding

You can rinse your mouth with salt water to soothe the pain. Try half a teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water. Sometimes your sleep surroundings affect you too. Placing a humidifier in my room helps and keeping head elevated on my pillow while resting.

VIP Member

You can try natural things like honey lemon or gargling with salt water :) But if you think you need to take medication, please visit a GP and tell the GP that you need pregnancy safe medication as there are many that aren't pregnancy-friendly :(

6y ago

Oh dear :( If you have phlegm, there's a method called AGO remedy that mummies use for their toddlers when they have cough and flu - it's just one red apple, 3-4 cloves of garlic and 1 onion! Chop them all up and steam them for 30-40 minutes, then just drink the juice that comes out (I usually add 1/3 cup of water inside too) :) You can try it out too, should be fine for pregnancy too!

Grate lots of ginger into about four tablespoons of honey. Squeeze in the juice of two limes or lemons. Mix well. Take small quantities from time to time through the day.

Gargle with salt water, reduce intake of fried or spicy food, drink honey water, sleep earlier are some natural remedies without use of medication. Hope you recover soon:)

Take care mummy.. drink plenty of warm water. Try gargling with salt water n avoid spicy n oily food too. For some people, drinking warm water with honey works wonders.

I always go for tcm remedy for sore throat, crysanthemum tea or antelope horn, cos always get sore throat when I am heaty. Also take lozenges off the shelf... Like strepsils

5y ago

Hi dear... Sorry paisei... I missed the header saying during pregnancy. I am referring to myself at usual state. When pregnant.. I suppose no antelope horn. 🙏

I will drink lots of warm water and sometimes even drink honey water to soothe a sore throat. Unless my situation get worsen if not I would not go to GP.