water to newborns

Hi mommies! My MIL says to give my 2 weeks baby a lil water to drink so that his body wont be heaty over drinking breastmilk. Will it harm my baby if I feed him a lil water?

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

No water recommended for babies below 6 months old. Water interfere with nutrient absorption from breast milk or formula. There's also risk of water intoxication (I've heard of baby who was affected even with just 1 oz of water). Can just use a wet cloth to clean baby's tongue. And breast milk itself is 88% water so baby will not be dehydrated or "heaty". Our breast milk is adjusted to the needs of our babies anyway.

Read more
TapFluencer

I gave my baby water when she is nb. Firstly I don't believe in the no water below 6 months. It doesn't make sense to me. I'm a mama that go by logic. When we were young we were not told that no water below 6 months. We manage to grow up too right? Secondly we as adult I ask you don't drink water just drink sweet drink can you take it? No right? Don't forget bm is sweet too.

Read more
4y ago

BTW my baby is healthy and going 1yo :)

Super Mum

Yes it can harm your baby. Babies’ guts aren’t meant to take water, and giving them that can result in diarrhoea, malnutrition and worse consequences. The international recommendation is for no water below 6 months. 6 months-1 year: boiled water After 1 yr: distilled water After 2 yrs: mineral water

Read more
VIP Member

It won’t harm your baby but too much water will make you baby full for no reason and he won’t be able to drink more milk. It’s like empty calories. I didn’t feed my baby any water for the first 6 months unless she is having a fever and need to take medicine and it’s only 2ml of water.

My family Dr told me breastmilk don't need any water at all unless your child drinking formula milk. But I hear alot of ppl say no water below 6months. But last few month my child 3-4months down with fever dr told to drink plenty of water

https://www.parents.com/baby/safety/tips/water-intoxication-in-babies/ I really wouldn’t , why risk the harm you can cause. Maybe miscommunication between caregivers and everyone gives water, it would be way too much. Water can wait.

Breastmilk is basically water. If scared baby “heaty”, then offer breastmilk more frequently. If baby having fever or it’s a hot day then offer breastmilk more frequent than usual!

Hi there i asked also when i went for his check up at polyclinic the doctor and the nurse told me can give 5 to 10mls of water every after feeding to flush the milk on my LO tongue.

4y ago

Thanks for the information

No water till solids. Many older generation may argue otherwise say we were fed water, still alive. Nil water is medical science backed. Stand your ground💪

VIP Member

Practice giving water...there is no harm...if you dont start they will never want water when they are older...always have to be sweet drinks