Feeding barley water to baby?

I have a 3 month old baby who will be going for his vaccination soon. My mum keeps asking me to feed him barley water before and after his jab to prevent a fever. I am not keen to feed my baby anything other than milk in his first 6 months though. Any thoughts? Did any of you feed barley water to your baby at 3 months? Or you’d rather wait too.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i didn't! before my baby was born, i told my husband to read up alot so i don't have to tell off ppl when they insisted. true incident, his mother aka my mil insisted to feed my 12days baby water bc 'weather hot' me as a dil just said 'its ok she drink enough milk and got fan can alr' and she still insisted. thankgod my husband stepped in and told his mum firmly respectfully 'cannot la bc can cause complication. that time i read blablabla' hahaha so to me, communication w partner and alot read up to back up your No is important

Read more
VIP Member

A big fat NO. Please. It is not even advisable to give plain water before 6 months, how much more for barley. With regards to the fever, baby may or may not have fever after a jab. And if they do, doc always give standby medications with the appropriate dosage.

only feed milk before 6 months old. its your baby, your call and responsibility to protect him. to the grandma, if anything happens to the baby she will just say its your fault and move on. speaking from someone who has been through the same s***

Barley? No no... Some even ask to feed fever med first... For my LO 3 month old vaccination he has no fever. Dr will give because he knows which vac after jab will fever. For my family clinic Dr he did that. He also said everyone is different

Super Mum

Definitely no, fever is a very normal reaction after vaccination, some will have it some won't. Feeding barley water to 3 months old is not only unnecessary but can be potentially dangerous

Best to give your baby milk rather than barley water. (: no other liquids food before baby turns 6mths old

TapFluencer

I waited until after 1yo before I fed baby with barley water 3 month is too young

only milk before 6 months pls!

VIP Member

Never