Hi mommies , Just curious - my son got bitten in school and it is the childcare centre policy for the teacher to not reveal to the parent the name of the child who bit him. Just wondering why is it so ? My son is in N1.(Not that I am planning to confront the child's parent or anything ) but it's just stating a fact of who did the act. Thanks!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mum, I'm a CC teacher. It's a policy that we cannot reveal the biter. We do not want the victim's family to pinpoint at the child or even the child's upbringing. I know u will not confront the child or family but in other cases parents did fall out with one another because of accidents in school. But rest assured Teachers will also inform the biter's parents and hope that parents can be more aware of it at home too. Some parents are very open minded n they did a "I'm sorry" card n signed off with the child's name n ask the teacher to pass to the victim.

Read more

There are different reasons why a child would bite (excited, got provoked, unable to express themselves verbally etc). They are kids, and at this age, are still learning what is right and wrong. So what we want is to emphasize on correcting the action/behaviour, and not labelling the child as a 'biter'/'naughty' etc. I've experienced both roles, as a mother of a 'biter' and as a teacher having to explain to both the 'victim's' and the 'biter's' parents. Do let the school handle the matter. Speak with the Principal if the incidents happen too frequently.

Read more

I believe they want to avoid parents confronting each other, get hostile and point fingers. Just for example sake, if a child gets HFMD in school, the school also won't reveal the name of the child because they don't want parents to start blaming the child. Let the school handle this matter with the boys parents. Unless it is a very frequent occurrence, I will have trust in the school to do their part.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks , yeah makes sense !

It may be because they do not want the parents to confront with each other and want to handle the issue at their end. Ofcourse, they must have spoken to the parents of the child you bit your baby to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen. All parents do not think the way you are thinking, which is that you do not plan to confront. Some parents take it very personally and would want to take matter in their hands.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for the reply . Yes the teacher did tell the parent that their child bit someone in school. Yeah I guess they want to prevent parents from confronting each other. Although personally i feel the parent of the child that hurt the other child - should want to apologize to the other parent

Hi dear, same thing happened to me when my boy was in infant care. This is because they do not want a confrontation of parents. You may not want to confront, neither would i, but its hard to say for others. Many parents in a fit of anger will confront. If that happens it wouldnt be very nice. So most child care that i know of has the same policy.

Read more

Yes. Teachers will not reveal both child's name to both set of parents. So the other party also dont know who their child had biten. But u may get full details on how the incident occur, from there then u guide ur child hw to avoid to be bitten in future.