My LO is coming to 8 weeks. Have tried giving gripe water for 3 times, 30mins after her feed and burp. The first 2 times, she didnt vomit her milk and accept it. The 3rd time, she vomit out 10 to 15ml of sticky white milk. Anyone know what the sticky white milk is? By vomiting out the sticky stuff, does it mean she is feeling better or worse off than before?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, It can be acid reflux that is common to happen in babies as their digestive system is still immature and they take time to adjust and throw up the undigested milk. I guess, after feeding you need to hold baby upright on your shoulder and make her burp. I guess, you can check with your paediatrician as what is the best time to give her gripe water. Also, my old granny used to tell me to apply little asafoetida in the belly button of my baby, as it helps in keeping away gastric and helps in digestion. You can apply it after bathing her or at night before she goes to sleep. Make it a routine. Hope it helps in improving her digestion. If she gets fine then good else you must take your doctor's opinion.

Read more

I think it is reflux. Babies tend to vomit out a little milk during the first three months. You can keep her upright for 30mins after her feed to make the milk go down. Any reason why you need to give gripe water? Maybe space the gripe water feed further away from the milk feed. When my gal had reflux my PD told me to hold her upright for 30mins after feeding. Yes 30mins. So it takes about that time for the milk to go down . If u feed gripe water 30mins after her feed I think it may be too close. Could it also be she is drinking too much milk?

Read more
VIP Member

During the first 2 months of my LO, she would always regurgitate milk despite being burped religiously. I gave her ridwind but didn’t seem to help so I stopped. The regurgitation eventually stopped on its own. I believe the baby’s stomach size is still too small for the amount we gave her thus the regurgitation/vomitting. As long as despite vomitting, the baby is still active and shows no sign of weakening, then should be ok. Avoid giving unnecessary amount of water.

Read more
VIP Member

It could be undigested milk which be refluxed out again. My baby had quite a serious reflux issue. PD advise is after baby's milk (be it breastfeed or formula) Burp baby well for 15mins. Keep baby upright for 30-45mins AT LEAST.. This way, the milk can really go down properly. Hope it works for you.

Read more

Aside from the advice everyone here shared, maybe try giving ridwind instead of gripe water. My LO hated gripe water and would vomit it out but was ok with Ridwind. She had to take it due to her colicky symptoms as prescribed by my PD and it really helped her.

How does she react after the vomitting? Does she show any signs of discomfort after vomitting or does she go back to being her usual stuff. How many times has this occurred? Normally for such young babies, it has usually to do with the reflux.