My LO been latching for 6hrs on and off. And my husband say maybe he is not even drinking or u have no milk? So he try giving him formula and he drink it up all and have a nice and good sleep. I feel so sad about not providing him breastmilk. Anyone have the same experience? He is only 2 weeks and 1 day old. Whenever he latch on, he will give a weird sound and push away my breast. But sometimes he seem to drink.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there. I can understand how u are feeling as I struggled w breastfeeding too. First of all, depends on what u believe. Breast is better than formula no doubt but I feel that fed is best. Some pple takes abt 2 weeks for hr milk to come in. Ur milk supply may not be to par yet but if u say he is on n off - there could be a few reasons. He could likely be comfort latching too - which he won't do to the bottle or pacifier sometimes. He is a newborn, they also need to learn and practice how to drink from the breast which is totally different from the bottle - bottle is easier n faster for them no matter what. U may want to get a lactation consultant to help u see ur latching (I did and it made a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE) to teach u how to latch baby properly and see if he is drinking (the swallow sound - I never really knew what it was till I heard it during the session) etc. don't feel bad. Give breast and fm at he same time also ok while u work on ur supply w boosters and pumping sessions - u can always comeback to full bf

Read more

Hi just to add to others above experience, I also had problems earlier on.. I googled many sites and asked around so at least do all they said and do not forget water, drink 4 ltr a day, drink before and after breast feeding, drink during night all night and all day, go to bathroom a lot but it's worth the breast milk production. Have enough rest, sleep, no stressing out.. and do pump out after breast feeding until empty although it's only a little left, but they will produce more than if you don't pump 😘

Read more

2 weeks old only. Give yourself a break. Maybe lo needs more time to learn how to latch. Breastfeeding is not only us parents that need to learn. Babies learn too

VIP Member

If you aren't sure how much milk you are expressing I would rather you pump and bottle feed than turn to formula so early.

It maybe of help to speak with your gynae during the next appointment. They should be able to advise you further

VIP Member

Could it be that his latching is incorrect?