Cheating Husband who makes less money than me

Just found out my husband of 8 years has been cheating on me. I'm devastated but more concerned for the kids - they are 3 and 5, and from every study I have read, divorce is one of the worst things that can happen to a child. I can't bear to do this to them but at the same time, I'm not sure I can ever forgive my husband. I am not financially dependent on him (I actually make more money than him). He is still a great father...I really don't know what to do. Please help.

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am a child of a broken marriage myself. Divorce of my parents indeed is a stressful event for us when we are make to choose who we will want to be with. Often i was envy of my other friends who have both parents with them while my Father is mostly not around as he is working hard to bring bread for us. However, he make sure we grow up with dignity and pride by making sure we know we are not the cause of the separation of my parents' marriage. In fact, my Father never bad mouthed my mother once after they go separate way and ask us to respect her. On another hand, my husband come from a so-called "whole but dysfunctional" family. Whenever there was a fight between my pils, my mil will comment that it was his fault that she need to stay with such "useless" man etc. He witnessed the affair of both his parents and how they stay as a married couple but there was no love in the family. He used to have trust issue due to that and very self centered thought until now. To me, single parent or a prefect family with both parents does not matter. It is the harmony, the love, trust and communication that set the difference. Also in a marriage it take two hands to clap, he might be cheating you but is there any underlying reason. If the marriage is toxic, divorce might be good for you and children. However, if there is still feeling for each other it might be good to see a marriage counsellor to resolve the issue together.

Read more