Is a 2nd hand pump worth getting? It's much cheaper but some friends say the hygiene factor should be given some thought too....

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Even replacing the parts in an open system does not ensure that it is free from contamination. You really need to get a closed system if you're considering a second hand. Other than considering hygiene issues, there is also a risk of it giving up on you (by then there is usually no warranty left). You need to take into account travelling to the service centre in case any repair is needed, the costs involved, and if repair is too costly you may have to buy another pump at the end of the day! What you should know when buying a used pump: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/buying-a-used-or-new-pump/ If budget is an issue for you, consider getting single electric pumps or manual pumps. Manual pumps are great for travel and they are less expensive as well. Some mummies have also noticed that manual pumps mimic baby's suckling actions more and give them a better yield than electric ones.

Read more
VIP Member

It depends on whether its a closed or open system. The Medela Swing & PISA are open systems, which means milk may get sucked into the tubings and is prone to contamination. There are brand new pumps which are affordable. Spectra is such a brand. If you do intend to get a 2nd hand pump, do make sure it is a closed system and be sure to get new tubings and flanges. http://www.breastpumps.com/open_vs_closed_systems

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

I would opt for a new set. Consider buying and shipping from another country if price is a huge factor. I managed to get a spectra for 40% cheaper cause I bought it from Korea direct instead of singapore

I had a second hand pump -- but yes you need to see how old it is, the working condition. It literally needs to be taken apart and sterilized.

Nowadays breastpump is pretty affordable. I would advise you to get a new set due to personal hygiene issue.

I don't like the idea of second hand though.. for hygiene reason since you may not know the history..

thanks

VIP Member

Best to get a new set

New set is better