New vs 2nd hand items

Hi! Thinking of getting some items for newborn due in December 2022. Have seen a lot of people selling off their used items (milk btl, steriliser, pram, car seat etc) on carousell and fb. For sure, will be getting some second hand clothes since newborns usually grow out in a few months time. But was just wondering what are some items worth investing in a new one and which are some that we can just settle for 2nd hand? #pleasehelp #firstbaby #pregnancy

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi there mummy😊, I guess is base on your preference too. For my child these items i used second hand- baby stroller, car seat, baby meal chair, carrier, clothing, shoes, breast pump, sterilizer, baby milk warmer. As baby grows fast, and some children may not want to sit on the stroller. also, sone believes is that second hands goods given from family & friends give blessing to our child for growing healthy. I don’t believe in all this myths, but my parents does. So ya, why not take and save money for later😊 For new-Baby towel, baby wash, tummy oil, baby mattress, baby changing mat. â˜đŸ»more for hygiene purposes, will avoid using second hand. Anyways, blessed you a wonderful journey in preparation for motherhood😊~

Read more

Congrats! I thought I would get everything new but honestly the costs add up. So I did get some hand me downs - car seat, UV steriliser, feeding chair and clothes from close friends. Note that car seats have a safety shelf life of 5 years, so make sure it’s not too old. Anything related to baby’s consumption like breast pump, bottles, teats, I got new. Cos babies can be sick in a cot too, I got a new one. Clothes are defo fine since u can wash them out ❀

Read more

For me the baby items that I bought second hand was wardrobe, drawer, car seat stroller, baby cot. Thankfully they are all as good as new. The rest I bought it brand new. Also when you buy something, do take into consideration of the colour. Try to get neutral colours more than pink or blue. My mistake I was too excited for my baby girl’s arrival that most of the stuff can’t be used for my second born who is a boy. đŸ„č

Read more

Hello! Anyting that is safety related - cots, strollers, cseats i sugg to get as u duno hw abused the item is (unless maybe unopened box) and anyting that ur baby will touch w his mouth - eg milk bottles. Play gates, playards, clothes, bpumps (if cannot get new, get replacement parts like tubing, parts that touch milk/boob), changing mats, etc can be second hand.

Read more

Best to buy new car seat, safety wise if a car seat was involved in an accident it is rendered not safe anymore. (this is according to an American European mama group) . so based on that I would think getting a new stroller too. you never know how it was "abused ". other stuff can get second hand

Read more

Most of my kids' baby clothes are 2nd hand. They are of decent quality so I don't mind. We invested more on milk bottle with pacifier, stroller, 5in1 combi rocker, 5in1 baby cot.

Everything can be second hand as long as you’re fine with it. For me, teats, bottles and pacifier (cutleries for later stage) must be brand new.

For me i dun feel comfortable having 2nd hand. And actually my LO didnt outgrow her clothes fast 😂

New : ‱ Carseat (due to car seat have expiry) ‱ Milk Bottles ‱ Pacifiers

Read more
VIP Member

I bought stroller second hand and car seat first hand