Mother in law

I'm not the best cook around, but my mother in law makes it a point to criticize my cooking whenever she gets the opportunity. She even sends food for the rest of the family! What should I do?

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If someone wants to gimme free food I’ll TAKE IT GLADLY! Haha, saves me the effort of cooking. If your MIL is gonna send food over, might as well save your own effort and time, don’t cook and go get some me-time instead! Since you already conceded that you are not the best cook around, no need to feel too offended by your MIL. She has way more years of experience cooking after all.

Read more

Don’t bother. Mine had a lot of comments too even now when she cannot taste my cooking she still has a lot of comments when she knows what I cooked for my LO. Just continue to cook, if she brings food, tell her you have cooked. Bring out abit and put the rest of her food in the fridge. All that matters is your hub and your LO like your cooking.

Read more
Super Mum

One ear in, one ear out. Everyone can be food critic. Depends whether you eat to live or live to eat... If her cooking is good, then happily take the food she sends. At least then you have less pressure to do it yourself. Spend the time saved by doing other stuff with your family.

TapFluencer

I will Ignore her but continue to improve my cooking skill. Like my mil, I know she tell my husband what to do, how to take care my baby etc, I think I know what is best for my baby so I won't listen nor argue, just ignore her. The more we entertain, the more arguement will come

Just ignore.. moms or MILs, you can never satisfy them.. or shut them up.. my own mom likes to criticise my cooking too... but FIL, hubby and child enjoy my cooking. Whenever she criticizes I just act never hear and appear unaffected by her.

My OWN mother critisize my cooking...as long as your husband and kids are ok...just don't take it to heart...maybe she is like that because she was criticized and belittle by her in-laws...skmetimes it is just a case of vicious cycle...

VIP Member

Just ignore her. If you can't then just tell her nicely that you're still learning etc🙄 Best is if you can ask your husband to tell your mil not to criticize your cooking etc😜

VIP Member

I just take all these criticism in. One ear in one ear out😂 Since she wants to send food, let her do it, so you can rest and not cook. I usually try to think positive 😂

TapFluencer

It’s always the quintessential MIL debacle. In left ear out right ear. Just do your best. Maybe you can take cooking lessons to further improve your cooking skills?

Super Mum

Her cooking is very good? I won't care if I were you. Since she send then I just eat and rest. Meanwhile I will just try my best to improve my cooking.