family oriented company

Hi, I'm in my first trimester.. I've not been in office for abt 3 wks due to severe vomiting. I took mc, unpaid & HL to cover the 3 wks. And I found out my MD is questioning y I have not been in office.. I feel kinda of disappointed after working for the company for 8 yrs.. this appeared to be a family oriented company seems so fake suddenly.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's like that.. I worked for a company for 10 years. In that 10 years everyone was super nice. During my first trimester I had 2 hospital admission due to severe vomiting. The GM used harsh words on me.. Told me I purposely eat and trigger the vomit so that I can get HL. I explained to him.. I feel hungry that's y I ate.. Even gynea recommend me to eat. He told me if u r hungry drink plain water. Don't eat . Don't use pregnancy as an excuse. I went thru hell there. But I didn't quit due to financial difficulties. After delivering 6 months later I quit. They told me to stay.. I said don't want. I got better job offer. They did tried to increase my salary and etc.. I said no and left. Always remember ur health and family comes first. Company is secondary. Take care of yourself and the LO. Hope everything goes smooth for you.

Read more

If the company is unaware that you're expecting, maybe it is time you inform them so the company is able to exercise their compassion and understanding. If they are aware and yet they question your competence in this trying stage, have a chat with your HR and explore what options you have ie working from home or going on an approved sabbatical. Good luck!

Read more
Super Mum

You have not been in company for 3 weeks, of cos the MD is gg to ask where you have been (ie: concern?). I agree with the rest that no employee is irreplaceable, you have to place ur priority. Just do the minimum and go home. Don’t be stress over those ppl words. Ignore them. Hugs!

In today’s day and age it’s unrealistic to expect a company to emphatise with you and your pregnancy or medical issues. I would just have a pragmatic chat with your ceo and discuss your pregnancy openly with him. First trimester - are they aware that you are even pregnant?

Read more
5y ago

I’m too facing same issues. Having numbers of MC, HLe etc and kena sarcastic comments.Been forced go. lear leaves etc. Compares me with another pregger.... Pls, i really have enough. I dunno what to do too.

VIP Member

Of cos.. every work place is the same. There will always be no good colleagues or bosses. Staffs can never be irreplaceable. At my workplace, boss doesn't ask much, he understands but some colleague gossips around so much until whole building must know.

Maybe can also explore with your boss regarding the possibility of taking non pay leave while u recuperate at home. Also remember that baby will always come first before your career! Take care

Super Mum

Its like that. We have to keep reminding ourselves that mc and hl are our entitlement and do not let these people spoil our mood.

VIP Member

I think every company is the same. at the end of the day, they will be on company's side

This is disappointing to hear

Same. I quit my job during first trim.