Distressed

Hi I’m a FTM but unplanned pregnancy so feeling very stressed. Whole pregnancy has been very tough for me emotionally as I’m very fearful of pain and have been dreading to give birth. Have actually scheduled my c sect date thinking that it might be better for me mentally but I just found out from my gynae that husband isnt allowed to enter operating theatre due to the new covid restrictions. I’m feeling very ugh because I’m really very scared and I don’t know what to do. Gynae did advice me to go for natural as she shared that my baby doesn’t look too big and I’m tall as well, and that c sect recovery will be quite painful and unbearable whenever I cough or laugh but I’m so scared of the labour, contractions and the process of waiting as well. Not sure what I should do.. am feeling very upset with my husband because of this too. Do share some experience and advice with me to help me out. Thank you

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hey there. It's normal to be scared, planned or unplanned no one looks forward to pain or surgery recovery. The most useful thing I can tell you though, is that you are in good hands, your pregnancy is low risk and you will survive this. This is just another thing you have to get through in your long life ahead. You cannot avoid pain and suffering forever, the only thing you can control is your state of mind and not let anxiety be debilitating or hamper your future prospects. Think of all the cancer and accident patients out there, their bravery in the face of way worse odds. These were not planned, they just had to grit their teeth to get through treatment and recovery, and keep their eye on the prize at the end of the road. Get read up on the pros and cons of each delivery method, get counseling or employ a doula, and don't let your anxiety get in the way of your childbirth and relationship with your husband. Hang in there, you will survive this and be stronger for it.

Read more

5 times natural delivery mum here and I'll still choose natural delivery over c-sect as the recovery for vaginal delivery is very much faster than c-sect. Trust your body. Everyone was/is a FTM. Your body knows what to do. Contraction is far more painful than menses cramp BUT there is always epidural to save your day. You can sleep, talk, whatever without feeling pain. Also good to take cos natural delivery is very exhausting. Normally it'll take hours of labour for FTM, some until 30 hours, mine was 6 hours. You definitely need the strength later on to push your baby out. And epidural also helps to speed up your dilation. But since you've chose c-sect, again, trust your body. It may take a while to recover. It can also be very painful and frustrating to breastfeed your baby with the stitches but know that you're doing all great! Trust the process and your determination and will to recover fast. All the best!

Read more

Hi mommy, it’s very normal to be fearful of the unknown especially since you’re a FTM. Perhaps you may be overthinking the pain and overlooking just how strong the human body is at managing pain. It may not be as bad as you think it is, it certainly wasn’t in my case as I had the help of the epidural. And you would heal alot faster with natural delivery - I was more or less pretty mobile with minimal discomfort by the 6/7 day post partum. Just gave birth 12 days ago to a beautiful baby boy!

Read more
3y ago

Was it painful for u before u took the epidural?? Which hospital were u in?

Hello FTM! If you're scared of the pain, then you can opt for an epidural with natural birth. It's true the c section births take a longer recovery period and can be painful when you cough, sneeze or walk. But, most importantly, trust that your mind and body can do it - us women are stronger than anyone else because we have the ability to give birth! So take it easy on yourself and don't stress too much - pain will come and go, it's part of life, and learn to take things as they come.

Read more

Am a first time mum here as well. I had a rough pregnancy which only became better at the end part. I had a natural birth with epidural at 7cm dilated. I swear i didnt noe the bad tailbone pain was actually contraction 😂 tbh when i had epidural, my hb couldnt be in the rm as well. I delivered 7 wks ago at private hosp!

Read more
3y ago

Trust me, there isnt any pain when they jabbed me. I hugged the nurse because the contraction came 😂 now i think back lucky she no covid ah!! But the nurses r nice. Dun worry too much and let nature takes it’s course!