Go back to mother's place on the first day of CNY

I'm curious is this custom still exist, even if it exist, if it must to follow? Before marriage, my family will head to my maternal grandmom's house for house visiting, which all my aunts, uncle and cousin follow so...then to my maternal granduncle's house too...now after I got married my mum of course would like this custom to continue, means on first day with my husband suppose to drop by my aunt house for house visiting....but he reject it...i'm wondering if it is okay to head back to maternal side on the first day of cny but not to my mum house

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

According to Chinese traditional (Northern parts), married daughters only go back to their parents place on the second day of CNY. Folk lore says that it will bring bad luck and cause fortune to deplete to the married daughter's parents side if she goes back on the 1st of CNY. But of course that is past tradition, nowadays it depends on individual preferences.

Read more

It depends whether your maternal side pantang anot. If they are not, then maybe ask your husband what are his concerns? But for me, because my dad specifically instructed me not to go to his house on CNY day 1 because he still want to hust whole year HAHAHA ok so first day I won’t go to any of my side of family (relatives included).

Read more

they are still people 'pantang' maybe ask your husband why he rejected