Husband unhappy with me moving back to mum’s place.

The trigger of oil smell that stays in the house makes me vomit & sick all day. I finally couldn’t take it & moved back to my mother’s place. It’s only been 2 days and I haven’t vomit a single time and I felt free & happier but my husband isn’t happy about it. He doesn’t want to stay with me at my mother’s place for 1-2 days a week because he prefers his own room. But if I go back to that house, I will be trapped in the room all day and having the trigger smell round the clock. What should I do? I hate this pregnancy 😭

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hey mama, First, I realise that you might be angry at this stage but please try not to take it out on anyone - especially not yourself and your baby. Things happen during pregnancy and having a child is not without challenges. Your hormone levels are elevated and so are your senses which may explain why your feel this way towards the smells you’re experiencing. I’m happy that you feel happy after moving. I can also probably understand why your husband misses his privacy too if he moves into your mum’s place with you. How about talking to him about how you’re feeling and how you’d really like him to be by your side? You both conceived this baby together and you should also care for it and raise it together yes? How about a comprimise? You may be staying apart but you could have dates until your aversion to the smell blows over. Perhaps all he wants to do is be heard and recognised and you do too. Give each other that space and try to talk things out. When we face difficulties with our spouses, our relationship gets stronger too :) Take care - and please don’t feel like you’re alone okay? Just reach out here - lots of mamas here for support and a listing ear.

Read more
3y ago

Thank you so much! I will heed your advice and talk to him again on how we can slowly improve on this. I’m sure he’s already giving in to me by allowing me to move back to my mum’s place & I don’t force him to stay over when he’s uncomfortable too. We’ll have to compromise. I hope this phase of the adversion smell will pass soon.

Have a good talk with your husband that making you less prone to vomit and sick means you r able to retain nutrition for the baby. So it’s either your spouse find some idea to eliminate the cooking smell in the house, or you have to put the baby interest as priority and move to somewhere without cooking smell. Doesn’t have to be your mum’s place if he can propose a better idea. It’s very common that early pregnancy ladies grow smell averse to cooking smell. Me too!

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for your advice! We don’t have any other places to go unless we do staycation now and then 🙈 that would be extra cost, but I guess it could help us in getting some time together considering now we’re apart. I will speak to him again. I hope this phase of averse smell will pass soon.

Sorry to hear this mummy! Do discuss with husband! Hope it gets better!

3y ago

Thank you! I will speak to him again and slowly figure things out.