I'm about to get married and my fiance and I have not talked about having children. I worry about starting this conversation with him - I want many babies and he seems disinterested! How should I do this?

41 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I think this talk should be on your top priority. Can you imagine 2 years down the road and you want a baby when you see all your other friends having babies and your other half does not share your thoughts? This will cause much conflict and unhappiness in your marriage and cause alot of tension. Have the talk with your fiance.

Read more

Me and hubby definitely chatted about having kids and went for premarital screening before marriage as I felt it was important to go for it- so we know whether we can have kids amongst other things. It costs about $700 each pax at Raffles medical. Please have an open and honest convo with each other.

Read more
5y ago

Download 'theAsianparent' app. Asia's largest parenting network chosen by more than 12 million parents. https://theasianparent.page.link/S6echJ6poJxv4YWx7

It's a difficult and uncomfortable conversation, but it absolutely must happen. Whether or not to have children is a deeply personal choice and for a lot of people, not a place to compromise. Agreed with a few of the other replies here that you should bring it up in a private place. Best of luck!

Read more
VIP Member

I agree with Ametees. Since you are starting a very important chapter in your life, its better to iron out all the crinkled problems before the big day. Having a baby is a critical decision that both of you will have to commit to. So it's best you know where your fiance is at on this matter.

VIP Member

Baby will be your #1 Frequently Ask Question from people arround you when you're getting married. Trust me, better talk about it right now than having fight because of some random question asked by relatives but you and your husband not on the same page when answering it.

you need to talk about all this before you get married. otherwise you will be disappointed that the marriage you wanted is not something shared between the both of you and if you both don't have the same idea of married life, why are you getting married?

Isn't marriage a playground to have a sane relationship? if you have this and potentially other topics that you are scared to talk about with your partner, it might be a sign he is not the good one. And it's not what you want, so talk with him right now

Go and ask. There should be no fear for an open-discussion in a good relationship. Either both of you agree to have a kid, agree on when you both are fine to have a kid, or agree that you won't have a kid in the next decade. #Upfront

Best to have a discussion about this soon. A bit surprised that you haven't already done it.. but best to be late than never. You don't want to go into a marriage full of uncertainty and what-ifs especially with regards to having kids.

Dear, let nature takes it course. Be patient. The first step of getting tied down is really tough. Do 1 thing at a time. Enjoy the moments now. Ill be scared if you rush into it. However, yiu can still talk about it casually.