If your mum keeps using the reason of 'well, that's how I brought you up and you turned out alright', how do you stand by your choices with your child? I find it difficult to explain to the older generation that things have changed, and they need to as well.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I would kindly let my parents know that their methods worked for our generation, but are not as effective now. Parents of that generation were not pro-breastfeeding and believed that formula was more superior, but that is not true now. Parents of their generation also fed water to babies below 6 months of age and used the same reason. There are studies now which substantiate that water is not beneficial to babies below 6 months of age. You have to stand firm on your beliefs and tell your mother that this is the way you choose to raise your child and that you are her daughter, but your child is yours.

Read more

I will respect her views on her own upbringing methods by not commenting something bad to hurt her. For me, whenever I discipline my child if happened in front of my mom I will try to explain afterwards why I used this approach instead of other alternatives. Sometimes I will show books or videos on positive parenting related topics for her to read/watch so she has a better understanding on the reasons behind. At times, we do not know how to explain to our mom and it is easier to let the experts from books and videos to educate.

Read more

thanks

This is really helpful @diana. Thank you.