39 Replies

No that would be too harsh. If she has repeatedly been clumsy in her work after telling and even warning her then probably search for a new one. If that's not the case then you should understand everyone errs, so relax, can happen with anyone.

I would like to agree with most people here. I wouldn't deduct her salary. They have a hard time making ends meet so it would be really harsh on your part. Mistakes do happen sometimes. Just tell your helper to be more careful the next time.

My helper broke my $3000 doll I bought in Spain. But what can I do? Take her money? I won't :( no heart to do that. We earn a lot, they earn $600 the most to feed their family too. Things happen for a reason. Believe me, god is great :)

I feel that if you totally write it off, there'll be a subconscious grudge against her. Yet 2000 is really a huge sum for a domestic helper. If you feel she needs to learn this lesson, perhaps just a small sum deducted over a period of time?

I wouldn't deduct anything either, but speak with her and make it very, very clear how she must be careful with valuables around the house. Ensure that she's properly trained on how to clean different expensive items in your house as well!

hmmm. i know it may be painful that the ex vase is broken. but for me i will not deduct from her salary. will speak to her clearly that she need to be very careful with all those stuff. and i believe she will be grateful and will learn it.

VIP Member

I wouldn't. I think you can have a talk with her and tell how important what she just broke was to you and it wasn't just about the cost. Instruct her on how clean your valuables. You can always warn her about deducting from her salary.

Yeah i'm with stephanie on this. Your boss doesn't deduct your salary if you lose a deal or had a bad day at work, so you shouldn't do it to your helper either. Just advice her about it and tell her be extra careful next time!

Accidents happen. If this is the first time it's happened, maybe you can let her off the hook. But if she doesn't know how to take care of the things in the house, then it's just fair that you deduct a portion of her salary.

I wouldnt, that would be like working at least 4 months for free? She has family to feed too. I'm sure if you let her off this time she will be really grateful and treat you and your family even better.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles