If your helper breaks expensive stuff is it fair to deduct their salary? The helper broke a $2000 vase which I said to be careful

39 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No point deducting her salary if the mistake was unintentional, it will only spoil the relationship between you two. Best thing to do is talk to her to avoid such carelessness in the future.

I was told that we are not allowed to ask them to pay. My first helper broke our TV cause she didn't put her mattress properly n we ask her yo pay half but my agent say we cannot do that.

deduction of salary might make your maid upset and might have worse repercussion for you and the family in the future. Just have a talk and make sure she understands how serious it is.

VIP Member

You do know that domestic workers don't earn a lot. Mistakes do happen and if you want to prevent such incidences from happening, do lock up your $2000 vase in a reinforced metal safe.

No because she did not do it on purpose and this is an accident. She is scared and worried too. If you deduct her pay she have not much $ to send home or maybe she will take revenge.

to point here - dont take it too harsh. mistakes happen. but dont let it free so easy. deduce a minor amount so they be careful next time. a percent or two is enough to be deducted.

VIP Member

Ouch! That must hurt. Well I don't think you should be charging your helper for breaking things. Would you charge your other family member if they accidentally broke something?

I wouldn't deduct her salary but I will definitely talk to her and ask her to be careful next time. Maybe even warn her that I will deduct her salary if this happens again

I wouldn't. I think what you can do just sit and have a talk (nicely) to her, make it clear how important this is and that it shouldn't happen again in future.

i won't ! As already they don't earn much and deducting salaries may turn them harsh against you, they may opt for stealing from you, harming you, etc.