If hubby says a 6 year old child is big enough to stay at home by himself anyway he knows what to do, is he correct or wrong?

39 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

How long is the child expected to stay home alone? The risks are that the child can climb up furniture and hurt himself in a fall, choke on food, play with electric sockets, house catch fire, child climb out of window, child open door for strangers. If you want to leave the child alone for awhile, he has to know what NOT to do, what to do, how to use the phone to call you. You have to ensure the house is safe too. If not, can you leave your child with any friendly neighbor?

Read more

6 years old, still too young. You can do some mini tests and observe. E.g. ovserve what he would do when a stranger knocks on the door (does he call another adult to check or tries to open the door), what happens when he is thirsty and you're too busy to pour him water (does he know how to get himself a cup/glass of cold/hot water) etc.... observing his little responses and behaviour would let you know if he is ready to be left alone.

Read more

There is no right or wrong to many things in life especially parenting and views. Ur hubby is confident maybe bcos he saw independence in ur child. But as a mom, we r always very wary and tend to be protective towards our kids. I would say, always be with ur child. U wouldnt know wad he is thinking. Kids r still kids.

Read more
VIP Member

I won't say your husband is wrong, as long as the child has been taught about independence, knows where things are, what is dangerous and what is not, I will say it should be safe. also make sure that your home have safety measures in place like window grilles.

VIP Member

well it really depends on individual..I know some who is really independent at 6. Or 5 .. Who go out to buy food for parents and also go home by themself after school ,can you imagine k2 or k1 they can manage and no one at home.

VIP Member

I guess it will depend if your child is ready for independence and can differentiate what is right and wrong. My nephew will feel insecure if either my brother or my SIL is not around. So will have to see each child's readiness!

I wont leave a kid alone at home if he is not ready... not all children at 6yo can handle themself. unless proven he can handle himself and knows what can be done or cannot, no harm trying for half day first

No way... Pleeeeease don't. Kids are curious enough to climb out of windows... And many things in the house are too dangerous for them; electrical points, hot water, sharp objects.

TapFluencer

6 year old is definitely not old enough to stay at home alone! My older child is 10 and I still don't leave her alone at home. Not sure what on earth they will get up to!

VIP Member

6yo is too small. they might climb the chair. what if someone knock on the door and ask yr kid to open door, how. I felt it's too small to stay at home for 6yo