Breastmilk after 6mth

I was told by my sis-in-law that i should stop feeding my LO breastmilk after he turns 6mth. She has 3 kids of her own; the oldest being 3.5yo. And because of this, my parents think she’s right and advised me to stop at 6mth also. What i read online was i could give my LO for as long as i could. Is the benefits really not there after 6mths? And i have plenty of frozen milk in my mini freezer, threw lots of bags to make way for new bags. It seems like i had been saving for nothing?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I don't know where she got her information from, but that is NOT true - breastmilk is beneficial to LO even as a toddler, or even up to 5-7 years old. It's probably better if you could find more recent information (I reckon it could be from the past generation where they were brainwashed that formula is best, my mum took medication to stop breastmilk production because media at that time was promoting formula and saying breastmilk is bad). Also, breastmilk has many awesome qualities other than just as key nutrient source until 1 year old - it can also help with infections because of its antibodies, be used as milk bath for sensitive/irritated skin, made into keepsakes and a lot of other useful purposes too! In fact, breastmilk has the quality to change itself as per your baby's needs - hence you can see it being thicker sometimes or even blue-ish with antibodies when LO is sick :) Please don't throw away your precious milk! If you have too much extra, you can do milk baths with them or donate them to other mums :)

Read more

neh..you should continue with breastfeeding. my LO is now 6 months and 2 weeks & I'm still breastfeeding. you should breastfeeding & start feeding weave food at the same time as now the breast milk has not enough calcium for the baby growth. please note the nutrients of the breastmilk will change as your LO grows. If the milk is too long you can donate to other people or treat it as milk bath for your baby. breastfeeding is a bonding between mum & baby. I still love breastfeeding my LO

Read more

Did she means minimum months to breast feed your baby? Because I read that for babies to have the benefit of breast milk it is best to feed up till 6 months. Anyway just as Long as you continue to breast feed no one can stop you , my Mother in law keep asking me to stop breastfeeding but I keep on replying her that baby doesn’t want to stop.

Read more

I feel that she might means the minimum month to stop breastfeed. I have read on some articles. Is okay to breastfeed as long as we wanted and our baby will reject when they do not wish to be breast fed anymore after weaning and introduced to solid food.

There are heaps of benefits for both you and baby the longer you can breastfeed, even into toddlerhood. Don't let anyone else influence you. you should nurse for as long as you feel is right.

VIP Member

If you have breast milk just give. No need to stop :)