Im 3 months pregnant, should i give up my seat to a late 50s old man whom is standing? While i need to travel long distance and having nausea?

I took bus 66 from little India mrt stn busstop. I'm 3 months pregnant and I was seating inside at the window side. A seat beside me was empty a old age woman 58 plus (from india) came and seat beside me and told me in English to give seat for her husband. I told her I'm 3 months pregnant. She doesnt knows I understand her language she smiled at me and said okay. After that she turn and told her husband she is pregnant. Not even a minute she keep look at my stomach and she look at her husband and said to him as if her stomach is so big she cant stand and give up the seat to you. The husband said it's alright I can stand. I pretended I dont understand like looking through the window. She was totally unhappy and said is it so difficult for her to stand, as if she will deliver her baby right here. The husband kept telling her to stop and it's okay. She continued cursing me. They alighted at Bukit Timah side and I continued my journey. I dont mind giving up my seat if it's a short distance but from little India I need to travel till bukit batok and I cant stand that long having nausea during bus rides. Ps: Her husband is physically fit and doesnt seems so weak. My baby bump can be seen and I was wearing a body shape dress. It's very sad to hear these words from a old woman.

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If he looks fine and not like very old and weak uncle then I think u will need the seat more than him haha. Yesterday there were 1 family (father, Mother and a around 12 years old son) sitting in mrt (the son sitting on priority seat) and not offer me seat too. My bump is quite visible yesterday as I wear bodycon dress. After that when I finally see an empty priority seat, but a young lady quickly rush to the seat and sit there then stare at me. Well, sometimes I just have myself to blame for not having my own car :(

Read more
4y ago

I feel you too. Sometimes i feel parents should educate their children to be more empathising and aware of others situation.

Ignore. It rings a bell when I was in my early pregnancy... people can hardly tell that I’m even pregnant cause I’m quite petite. No one offers me a seat so... nausea yes. I vomited on them cause they’re sitting and I’m standing. I can’t tolerate rudeness cause at first when I asked for a sit and told them I’m pregnant.. they say that “you sure? your tummy is flat” They got what they deserved.

Read more
Super Mum

So sorry you have to go through this, I'd be so frustrated too. Sadly many old people are so entitled and thoughtless. Even sadder that it came from a woman as if she's never experienced what pregnancy feels like. I'd say risk of falling is much worse for pregnancy compared to being old, plus being pregnant is difficult and uncomfortable enough in its own. Hope you won't have to go through this again 🤗

Read more

if her husband fall and die its One person dead. if you fall and die its Two person dead. her husband lived a long enough life already so its okay to risk his safety lol not trying to be mean but the old lady couldve asked other people who were more fit to stand than a pregnant lady????? she just wanted her husband to die2 sit beside her. nothing to do with him being old and need a seat desperately.

Read more
1y ago

agree...2 life we talking here. whole bus so big i dont think all passangers are preg. surely some ppl can give the seat. but not u

Not all old people are right at some point .. If u need the seat more just ignore them... If they can go out or work.. Why cant they just stand? Happen to me many times.. As im 5months pregnant this not so old lady just stand infront of me waiting for me to give the seat to her.. I just ignore.. My baby n my own safety is much important.. So if can.. Just ignore as ur pregnant.. 😊

Read more

Lolx.. i met this quite alot, but they dont talk so much just giving me weird stares. I guess what old ppl are thinking is, althou we preg but we are young, so we shld still give seat to them. I am 5months in my pregnancy, can see my bump, but a 40+ lady just fought for seat.. 😂

How annoying! U know u need the seat more than that man. What if u fall or faint? Would that lady wanna take responsibility?? Just take care of yourself first. Dun feel bad abt this. Cheer up ok. Such a shame to know of the existence of this ppl in our society.

Mummy don't bother abt this people. You know what you are going through. U need the seat more. I am 4 months pregnant. I also won't give up seat cos I can easily get black out. I can't stand too long. At times I get stares from old people in MRT. I just ignore.

Don’t fret, some old ppl think they are entitled because they are old and fragile. And they are miserable being old so just let them be.. let this be a lesson to make sure we don’t end up like them when we are old ourselves 🤪

awwww just ignore them. you and your baby's safety first mummy! even i was at my 9months, rarely ppl offered me seats too 😂 ive to stand even w long distances bc i cant be bothered to communicate w dumb blind ppl 😂