Ultrasound scan

Hi all. May I know that your first gynae visit experience was through transvaginal ultrasound or abdominal ultrasound scan? I'm in week 7 and will be going for the first scan soon.

21 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I went for my first ultrasound at near end of week 6. At first gynae did transvaginal ultrasound but blocked by bladder so he tried to use abdominal so I didn’t have to go to washroom first as he could see the fetus in the womb already. Probably up to gynae. If more than 6 weeks, should be abdominal.

Read more
Super Mum

If your scan is scheduled around week 8, they’ll do the abdominal one first. Unless the actual date is very far off (eg. You’re actually about 5 weeks according to the scan) and they can’t see the baby using the transabdominal scan.. then they may change it to the vaginal probe instead

Usually week 6 onwards, an abdominal ultrasound scan will be able to detect the gestational sac, though it might not be that clear. Transviginal ultrasound may be used to see the sac clearer and detect the heartbeat.

VIP Member

for my second preg, first time is on vaginal scan. because they dk how many weeks i am and it turns out its 12 weeks already and after that, they scan thru abdominal.

VIP Member

they did abdominal ultrasound initially and switched to transvaginal scan cos I was still in my early weeks thus they were only able to detect the yolk sac

My first appt was abdominal scan and they said baby is 5w 4d. I could see the heart beating as well. Depends on individual I guess.

My first two visits was transvaginal, then on my second trimester my ob said its going to be abdominal scan from then on

7weeks might be able to do abdominal scan. Unless can't see baby, gynae will do transvaginal

VIP Member

I went at 6W but abdominal couldn’t really show yet so my Gynae did vaginal.

Thank you everyone for the reply and sharing your experiences! 💜