I am having a second baby.My 6 year old daughter wants to know "how babies are born". Kids are too smart these days to accept the story of the stork. What should I do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Though, we know and teach kids that we should not lie, but in situations like such, we have to tell them something that's not true as there is an appropriate age to give children certain information. I guess, you can tell her that when mamma feels lonely and wants a little princess or a prince in her life then she wishes for a magic so that the baby princess or a prince comes in her tummy. And now, mamma feels that if there be another baby you will have a company, so mama wished for another baby like you. I mean, something like this you can tell your daughter. I hope this one settles her curiosity for now. :)

Read more

you don't have to explain to your child about the entire process, but you can always say that when two grown-ups decide to stay together as a family, as mamma papa, most of the time they want to bring home a baby too. i had my second baby when the first one was 6, so there was of course a lot of curiosity in my first born. i told her that i went to the doc and the doc gave me a medicine which helped a little baby to grow inside me. when the baby is properly grown and healthy, i will go to the hospital and bring baby home.

Read more

Right now keep it simple. All kids have this question and nowadays kids don't buy the fairy story at all! Tell her that there is a tiny cell in mom's tummy which eventually grows into a baby. As she grows up, you can give her age-appropriate explanation.