After knowing fact from parent town that we should not give honey to child below a year, I would like to know how about giving spoon of tea? is it safe or okay? what are other food item shall I avoid giving my 8th month old daughter

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Whole milk should not be introduced as a replacement for breast milk or formula until after 12 months. Reason being is due to the fact that whole cow milk cannot properly sustain a growing infant. It simply does not have all the nutritional components needed for healthy growth and development. There is also a bit of difficulty in the digestion of whole milk proteins. If you want to try, start with yogurt and cheese are cultured and thus tend to be more easily digested. Another item is Citrus as it is very acidic and many infants under the age of 12 months old suffer rashes and tummy upsets due to the acidity. This has nothing to do with allergies. Others like Strawberries and Shell Fish, and even Peanuts, can prompt severe, life threatening allergic reactions. The recommendation continues to be one of caution and delay.

Read more

Tea is known to limit baby's intake of iron. Iron helps to supply oxygen to the body and is needed for healthy growth and development. If they do not have enough iron, they will have long term learning problem. It is better not to feed any fluid other than water to the baby as we do not know if there is excessive sugar or some other things that baby should not take. You can highlight to your doctor for his opinion if you are really keen on giving your baby tea.

Read more

It would also be good to avoid food that are high in salt and sugar content. Here are some examples of processed foods that are high in salt and sugar which should be avoided: Biscuits, crackers, soups, gravies, sauces, pizza, bacon, crisps, sweets, chocolate, fizzy drinks, fruit juices Best to look at the food labels when buying food for your baby to reduce the chances of buying products that are high in salt and sugar.

Read more

hmm.. I believe most tea contains caffeine so it may not be a good idea to give that to a baby. For drinks, I think breast milk, formula and water are the safest bet as drinks for an infant. You can also give them diluted fruit juices so that the sugar content will not be too high.

you should not be giving tea to any child, definitely not to one who is so small! tea contains caffeine and nicotine, both of which are extremely harmful. why would you want to give tea and not milk?

Anything that can be a choking hazard should be avoided and if they are age-appropriate and healthy like fruits and veggies, make sure you prepare the foods to ensure that baby can eat them safely.