I have just moved into my new place for about a week. We have decided to stay for 4 days at our own place and 3 days back at in laws place so that its nearer for the kids to commute to the school and also still able to spend time with the grandparents. However after trying out for one week, it seems like the kids are having difficulty sleeping for the first night at each place. Is this a bad idea for 21 months old? Should I just stay at one place?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i would choose to disagree and say that you need to stay in one place to give the kids some stability. it may be fine for you and your partner to adjust, but for the kids, staying for a few days here, then there, can cause too much chaos, and disrupt their regular life and routine. stick to one place. let them adjust and feel comfortable. you can always take them over to the grandparents and spend the day. or the grandparents can come and stay. also, instead of going and staying every weekend, make the night stay a once a month affair

Read more

i think you need to give your kids some stability. moving like this every week will only create chaos and uncertainty and they will not be able to form a routine. a 21 month old is very young to understand these constant changes. why don't you ask teh grandparents to come over for the weekends? you can go for one weekend or for a day visit sometimes. it is important that children know their bed and space, as it helps them relax and sleep well too.

Read more

I think the constant back and forth is really affecting the kids. Why not let them first settle in at the new place? Once they are set in their routine, you can slowly start taking them over for the weekends. Even then, start with a day trip and come back home at night. You can extend it to a night stay once they are comfortable.

Read more

I'm husband separated with a barely 7 month year old kid. I care for the kid from Sunday ~ Friday(main care giver). I notice my child have the same issue when coming back on Sunday. I hope he will get used to it as I believe co-parenting is more important to him so it's a give and take.

Read more

Slowly they will adapt to it. Both my children also had issue sleeping at different places (my previous house, their grandparents' house and my new house). It took them a few weeks to adjust. Just stick to the routine and they will get used to it. Jiayou. They will be fine.

8y ago

Thanks Serene. I don't know if I should persist on or just stick to staying at our own place. Hahaha it's tiring for the adults too. My girls took 3 times the time to fall asleep last night.

Stay at one place. Stay with the kids' grandparents for a few days so that its closer to school as well as the kids can spend some time with the grandparents. Once your house is set, bring your kids back.

VIP Member

If possible, I'd say to just stay in one place - and maybe bring the kids to the other during weekends? I'd say that it's not exactly good to be moving here and there either :)

I thinks ur kids feels uncomfortable w a new situation, maybe.

VIP Member

I think so. Moving too much can affect their brain