I have joined parenting groups or mummys' group chats since 2013, after the birth of my first child. At first all was good, quite some tips and support from fellow mummies and members. Things took a plunge when my finances turned bad upon learning of my second pregnancy. I have been unemployed since first child's inability to adapt to his childcare environment - always falling ill - and it led to my resignation due to lack of family support for alternative caregiving and career suicide from taking too many leaves. Thereafter, I could no longer afford luxuries like traveling, even to Malaysia, or local playdates that require expensive entry to indoor playgrounds. While the other mummies were arranging high tea dates, I made known my financial status and didn't join. As a result, I no longer felt belonged and was often ignored or left out in group conversations. I felt like I was the only mummy asking for government subsidies and going for non private subsidised gynae. I am worried that without the usual support from fellow mummies, I may be depressed after childbirth. I had relied alot on the groups to get advice and solace for my first baby. Are there any parenting groups or useful hotlines which may not discriminate financially challenged mummies like me?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can consider joining other support groups if your current ones no longer seemed to be a good fit for you. If you are in need of some professional advice or to vent about any issues you may be facing, you can call up the carecorner helpline (they also offer a range of services such as counselling): http://www.carecorner.org.sg/cccc.html Another organisation that offers similar services is Family Life, a registered non-profit charity and a member of the National Council of Social Services. http://www.familylife.sg Also, you can also post any concerns here hereon Parenttown. I found this a very friendly "community" with a lot of supportive parents who are happy to share their valuable experiences, as well as discuss any worries. Hang in there! Hope this helps!

Read more

Sister Rene, I feel you. You are a mother and be proud. You have joined the new workforce that is to working 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, lesser rest, lesser personal time, lesser travelling, no income, but you are nurturing your children with your love that no one, and truly no one that will be so much caring and very much concern for your LOs, and to a limit not spoiling them. This is a project that needs many years to see the result of your effort, which you need new ways of working at different phases of as their growing up. Everyone has good fortune in some ways and maybe other challenges along our life, and we will do the best we can. Let's tweet towards positivity and you can do it.

Read more

Hugs mummy. First of all, thank u for being so courageous in opening up on ur pblm. Not easy to be a mum and having to juggle finances too. I can totally feel u When u feel guilty for not able to provide things for ur child. I was feeling that way a while ago. There is nothing wrong getting govt subsidies and getting blessed items. All of us have our down and up time. Suggest play dates to be places that are no expensive such as water parks at gardens by the bay, bishan park, go playgrounds like amk, west coast, go beach for picnic, go swimming at public pools. All these are great bonding play dates ideas wo causing a big hole in our pockets. Just Rmb, You are never alone.

Read more

Friends who understand your difficulty and situation will still stay as your friend and not asking you to go for expensive playdate nor high tea. Those who are doing that and keeping a distance from you are not real friends so do not even keep them in your heart. Find other groups of mummies for support, there are mummies who will not look at how much you have, as support in parenting each other mentally does not cost a cent. What we do is just lending a listening ear and give some advices or suggestions. Having said so, some times without those so call friends in our life actually do us more good than bad! Cheer up mummy!

Read more

Maybe you can find a new group of mummy friends that understands your situation better. I used to have a bigger group of mummy group but a few of us break out from the big group and make a smaller group where our financial situation are much more similar. Always on the hunt for cheap or free playground as possible as those from the main group went are ridiculously expensive. You do not have to feel depressed. Different people have different circumstances. I too asked for government subsidies and goes to subsidized clinics.

Read more

Big hug to you dear ! Get on new support groups for your coming baby ! Support from mummies that are positive and understanding is very important ..Stick to those that cares and understand - and at the same time not expecting people to always understands unless they are in similar shoes ... Suggest play dates that are low costs when you are in the new groups ?

Read more

ParentTown interviewed Sher-Li Torrey founder of Moms@Work on how stay at home moms can work as well! Here's the link - Click on TV more for episodes :) http://parenttown.com/topic/how-to-climb-the-corporate-ladder-and-be-a-supermom

VIP Member

Hey mummy, Have you tried a work from home job? That might ease up expenses a little. Also in our mummy group, we host play dates in peoples homes - so there is no $$ to worry about. Maybe suggest that in your group?

Read more

Hey Rene, ill be happy to meet you and have a playdate for our bub. If in anytime you feel that you are in need of a breather, beep me up. :)