I giving my 7 months LO fruit s puree ready made type. Yesterday LO went for injections and the nurse asked me what did I feed LO. I say milk 150ml about 3hrs and I give fruit puree once day let LO let LO try the taste of it. And the nurse was so shocked and keep saying must give cereal and porridge already lei, let him eat twice a day if LO like it. I say puree is okay right? She say no no must give LO porridge and can give egg and a lot of other food she lost down. I was shocked and I wondering isn't doctor suppose to be the one telling me when to let LO try egg and those allergy food to see reaction? But the nurse say is okay one. Just let you LO eat don't just give him milk. I not sure because I know that before 1 years old milk is the main food. Solid food just let him try and give abit not too much , as I worry he cannot take it too much. I not sure. Don't know should I.listen to the nurse anot?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I agree and disagree some. Before 6 months, milk only. Start intro food from 6 months, some start earlier at 4 or 5 months, due to doc recommendation and stuff. 6 months onwards, u have to slowly but surely increase the solids intake. U need to intro simple single fruits and veg purée from 6th month...then gradually move to combination flavor, some Asian cultures give porridge w fish/chicken...slowly but surely u have to increase and milk is supplementary in the 6m-12m period. U have to keep in mind that by the time 8 months baby shld be starting to move towards Lumpy food and by 12months, baby is more or less on 3 solid meals with snack/milk in between. So if u haven't been giving enough, pls do. I think can listen to The nurse somewhat and u can verify with doctor. Most of the time nurse will advise quite well and doctors just forget to advise us such things unless we specifically ask abt it

Read more

It is important to start giving cereal and porridge from 6months onwards otherwise later LO will not take as they tend to get used to with milk intake only. Thats the reason why the nurse advice to start giving as soon as possible. I also think it's Ok for the nurseto give you those advice cos they are in that line for years already those new Nurses will gv basic info only but if you are not comfortable to that and prefers the Dr to talk to you about all those stuff you can inform them next time but in Polyclinic its usually the nurse give alot of informations rather then the Drs.

Read more
VIP Member

congrats! your baby just started the solids journey! take your time to intro to your baby, and look out for allergies. for babies under 1 yesterday old, milk is still the main diet and food is supplementary. you can however, gradually increase food intake and lessen milk I take as he grows older. I used BLW as a method to introduce food to my kid. you can check it out!

Read more
VIP Member

It really depends on the baby. For my second child, no matter how i forced solids to him. He just simply rejects the food. He only fully accepted porridge when he turned 11months old. My advise would be, as long baby is growing and gaining weight. there is no right or wrong on when to start the solids twice day

Read more

You are right I guess the nurse was just giving you get personal advise. Everyone have their own school of thought. Milk is the main diet for a year old and below.

VIP Member

Although milk is still LO main diet, You can start to introduce solids and other types of food from 6 months.

Weaning can start from as early as 4-6 months and slowly introducing other foods, fruits, veg etc