Pump now or wait

Hi All, I just gave birth last night but my baby is under observation due to my diabetes. Should I start pumping now or wait till my baby latches on me so that he can get the colostrum that is very good for him? Thanks in advanced!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi the first few days it might be difficult to get any milk out, you can massage with your hands to stimulate milk production and try squeezing with your fingers and see if any milk comes out? You can try pumping to stimulate too. Congrats on your delivery and all the best!

VIP Member

Pumping wont work. Will end up wasting colostrum as it will be stuck to the flange. Need to squeeze and suck with syringe. The nurse will teach you the right method and provide u with free syringes.

VIP Member

Bf first :) don’t worry abt pumping now. If you feel breast is very tender , you can pump after bf Bf for 10-15mins for new born. Baby will auto remove lo’s mouth. N will keep fall asleep.

Read more
VIP Member

Can check with nurse. Usually they will provide syringe for u to suck out and they will deliver the colostrum to your baby.

Super Mum

If can wait, then wait. No need to rush milk production as it will come in time.

VIP Member

wait till breastfeed cause milk might be not enough for now

Colostrum is very small volume to pump

Better give time and wait

Better to wait

VIP Member

better to wait