i feel lost

I feel lost. I feel like quitting my work now and just be a sahm. Can someone share what the pros and cons of being a sahm?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It's one of those "single people see happy couples, and couples see happy singles" thing - one is never better than the other. I'm a work-from-home mum, working freelance for marketing, content writing and graphic design as well as some adhoc jobs like house cleaning from time to time! The pros about this is that I have flexible arrangements of my time - when to go out, work, play with my son etc. are up to me, so I do spend most of my time with him. The bond and quality time is something money cannot buy, which is why I'm delaying full-time employment (am a fresh graduate). The cons would definitely be income. I'm a single mum but I have my parents to cover for me when I need to head out for meetings, errands etc - but I don't earn much at all. The income is also not regular because freelance work is usually paid per project, and you'd really have to work things out with your husband. I've heard about so many mums who left their jobs to stay at home, but they also end up having arguments with their spouse over income, who's earning the money, who's doing all the "work", who's more tired etc. Make sure your husband is fully supportive and agreeable whichever you decide - and that you won't end up with a financial crisis without your income, it ain't fun living paycheck to paycheck! Of course, there are other jobs you can do while being a stay-at-home mum - so it's all up to your comfort level and what you want out of this :)

Read more

Pros: Witness every single milestone and more bonding with your kid. Cons: Loss of a source of income for the family and some future adjustments required for you to return to work in future, depending on the duration that you break from work. Have a good discussion with your hubby. Come to a compromise on the conditions that allow you to stay at home and be sure to ask for your 'privileges' to be a SAHM. :)

Read more

Story of my life too! I sometimes wonder if all the stress is worth it. Pros of sahm would definitely be getting more time with the kids n family. Cons would mean reduction in family income, and feeling Low in self esteem maybe...