My husband and I are thinking of a date night for our wedding anniversary but my 4 months old baby refuses the bottle* and also only wants me to carry if not he will cry..... Since I am going back to work next month, we were thinking of using this opportunity to start training him by leaving him with my parents (technically he should be familiar with them but he also doesn't allow carrying) take care of him for 4 hours while we go out. Have any of you with similar experience? Will this progressive training work? How long is it fair to let him cry out? Or should we just eat at the kopitiam downstairs so that we can run back up if needed? *we have tried different bottles and I will go out of the house for that few minutes and let the other caregiver feed him but nothing works

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Happy anniversary. I would definitely leave bub with your mum and go enjoy your night as a couple. My little one is 4 months too and since she was 2 weeks old I left her every Friday and Saturday night with another care taker so I can spend time with hubby as a couple sans baby. Also my four month old is already on stretched feeds. She drinks at about 8pm and then falls asleep till about midnight and then wakes up for another feed and then wakes up again about 5-6 hours later. So if u are able to stretch the night feeds out, you will have the 4 hour window frame to go out while baby sleeps. Also with regards to bottle, what bottle are you using? I swear by the comotomo bottles. Have you tried them? They feel like breasts as they are made from silicon.

Read more
Post reply image
8y ago

Thank you for your sharing! Where do you buy the comotomo bottles? Also it is not just about the feeding, he cries when others carry. Separation anxiety? So he might really cry from the moment I leave the house till I get back? Is it fine for him to cry it out so long?

Hi! Here's an article you can refer to: http://sg.theasianparent.com/when-baby-refuses-to-be-bottle-fed/ Since you have tried different teats and having another person feed him, no harm trying the other suggestions mentioned too. One of my friends was in a similar situation and ended up feeding her baby using a dropper when she is no available. She then transit to a cup when her baby is older. So, no bottles for her baby at all. A tad more troublesome but at least she need not worry about feeding her baby when her girl refused the bottle. Hope this help and happy anniversary (I do hope you got a night off to celebrate!!).

Read more
8y ago

Thank you for your sharing! But apart from the bottles, he doesn't let others carry too. So he might end up crying from the moment I leave the house. Is that bad?

Happy Anniversary and congratulations!! :-) You deserve a date night and yes that sounds like a good opportunity to let your lo adapt to new people. Have you tried giving a soft sprout sippy cup or use a spoon to give milk to the baby? My baby is the same and she won't take bottle but she laps up whatever is in the spoon. You might want to try this. As for the progressive training, I believe it will work. You can try letting your lo cry 10 minutes before coming to hold her, then make it longer each time. Good luck and there is always a delivery service! :-) But you deserve to go out! :-)

Read more

I think u need to start training him. although I don't support the crying out method but really no choice. it's also discipline for them. meanwhile you can also talk to him n reassure him that you are going to work/out and will be back at night. my baby also recently refuses the bottle. when we go out my mil will feed and she cries and screams so loudly but eventually she gave in amd finish her feed. they won't starve themselves! hope you have some luck in getting him to accept the bottle. just go for ur date n enjoy but not too long haha

Read more
VIP Member

You need to let him start familiar with the caregiver, if not when you go work, is not you tired, is the baby and the caregiver tired. At least now, if caregiver can't cope, you are still there to take over. It'll took awhile for baby to adapt to the milk bottle as you have DL too long, that baby is use to DL instead, so fighting!! Dun give up! Now my son will drink milk bottle only when he is almost asleep.

Read more

Since my baby was born, my Mom help to take care and feed him also.. so we have no problem since day 1 to leave him with her and go for a one night staycation... we went once for a 1 week holiday in aus but that was too much though... baby totally upset with us with we FaceTime him. Haha.. just to share :)

Read more
TapFluencer

They are smart. When they know you are there they will definitely look for you. Once they knew that you are not around, they will go to the 2nd alternative. It takes time, don't worry too much. Happy anniversary

You need to let go and start training your son. Start by leaving the house for 30mins-1 hour then slowly stretch the time. By then, 4 hours should be fine even without you.

I don't think it's considered cry it out if your parents pick him up & try to comfort him. Good luck !