My 3.5m/o LO has been rejecting milk bottles (I have tried a few different types but he only wants direct latch) and doesn't allow anyone to carry him but me. What should I do with the above 2 situations since I am going back to work soon and he will be going to infant care? Should I leave it and hope that things will naturally improve once he starts infant care? TIA

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's common for DL babies to reject bottles by the age of 8 weeks onwards. Try to leave your house during feeding time for say 3hrs, experiment with different bottle teats (Nuk latex teat worked for mine), get someone else to bottle feed him. Babies are smart. They will definitely choose their Mummies when she's around but they will not starve themselves. They may reject bottles and fuss for awhile, but when faced with the fact that there's no other option other than to take a bottle, they will. Just be prepared that they will consume less than normal, because they're only drinking for 'survival' instead of taking the full feed. They may latch on more often at night too to make up for the reduced consumption in the day, aka reverse cycling. It's normal and they will adjust back to normal drinking habits over time.

Read more

Have to be firm and let someone else do the feeding. They will scream and wail like no tomorrow but no choice unless you willing to be SAHM. Initially my LO also cry murder whenever the bottle is near her, refused to suck from the bottle. When she is really hungry she will then learn to drink from the bottle. Took her about a week or two to finally stop fighting against the bottle. If you intend to latch when you are free then leave bottle feeding to others.

Read more

You have to keep trying else she will have difficulties when being 'introduced' in the IFC all over again. I have a friend whose child is in IFC, cannot drink milk from bottle and teachers are too 'busy' to keep trying. Initially my lo had difficulties too, but she loves Comotomo and Tommee Tippee now. She's 12m old and is both DL and bottle fed when I'm not around :)

Read more

My baby was like that prior to me going back to work. You can try to give LO a piece of your shirt when your LO is drinking milk but someone else is doing the feeding using milk bottle and it is recommended that you are not around. My baby calmed down when she smell the shirt. Guess mama have a distinct smell that makes them feel safe and secured! :)

Read more
VIP Member

It's normal for direct latch baby to reject bottle feeding & it takes a lot of patience to encourage her to bottle feed. For a start you might wish to spoon feed her instead of direct latching to encourage her to drink instead of latching. Then slowly introduce her the bottle. She will accept the new caregiver & drink from the bottle very soon.

Read more

Nuk latex is closest match for nipple and your best hope that he switches over. U need to settle it now before gg back to work. Dun delay. When kid got no choice but to take from bottle, he will when he is hungry. U just cannot be too softhearted. If not, u will never bear the separation once he goes to IFC

Read more

I left my kid to IFC though she is the same like your LO. Eventually, they will make up what they have lost at night. Took her about a week to use bottle in school.

Get someone else to bottle feed the baby and mummy must be out of sight. If mummy's around, baby can sense/smell mummy and will reject bottle.