How to train my 9 months old to drink from a cup? Or is it too early to train ?

81 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Babies also love to copy their parents, especially when it comes to eating (which is why babies often grab food from mom's plate!). During meals, use the sippy cup yourself  -- and if your partner and other adults at the table are willing, have them use the cups as well. Though you may feel a bit silly, your baby will likely want his own cup when he sees everyone enjoying this new "toy." Bear in mind, there is no magical age for babies to begin using sippy cups. The best you can do is offer it, have fun with it, and enjoy your child's own developmental timetable.

Read more

I have this problem, my baby doesn 't like water. If I give him water in a bottle, he will just chew on the nipple and spit whatever water comes to his mouth, I bought him a sippy cup and he won't sip at all so I spoon water to his mouth which almost immediately, he will spit 🤣. He is 9months now and still won't drink water. I still offer water often using a cup but he continues to spit the water.

Read more
7mo ago

My mom used to add in rock sugar as we 4 siblings don't like drinking water. So that rock sugar helps alot as we started drinking more water from then on. Slowly she decreases the amount of rock sugar for us to gradually accustomed to plain water. Can be found at supermarket. It's safe for babies and it's not super sweet like refined sugar. You can try it yourself 1st.

To train the kids to drink from cup, you must be prepare to clear up the mess. If you aren't those who patient to clean up, please try at a later stage or else you will end uo scolding your kids. Usually will start off ard 1 year old as they are better off holding the cups with handles. This will at the same time train them and taking the opportunity to educate them.

Read more
Super Mum

There are no spill cups available if you’re worried about spillage.. but they require quite a strong suck. My first child hd trouble with every kind of sippy cup available, regardless of the kind of spout. So she stuck to straw bottles/cups initially, then later on after 18 months, we trajned her straight with a normal cup

Read more

My girl drinks from straw cup at about 7 months. She doesn’t know how to drink at the first attempt. I have to guide her using the end of the straw and drip water into her mouth. She could drink after that but water still leaks from her mouth frequently. After a month or so, she can now drink very well from straw.

Read more

my 9month old baby girl won't sip in her feeding bottle kung hindi milk ang laman kaya sa baso or bote ng tubig ko sya pinapainom. super alalay lang talaga at ingat kasi little amount lang kaya nya inumin at a time baka malunod. tiyagaan lang momsh, matututo din si baby, ;) wag mo madaliin. God bless!

Read more
VIP Member

9 months might be a little early. Babies that age aren't very coordinated and will likely spill anything in a cup. Maybe try in a few months time. Start off with a sippy cup or a straw first before progressing to a proper cup. https://www.ikea.com/sg/en/p/boerja-training-beaker-00213884/

Sorry to ride on, I've tried Avent sippy /spout cup but it seemed difficult to drink from it, because i tried drinking it from it but i felt that i suck in a lot of air & needs to suck quite hard to drink the water.. Any recommendations of cups? My LO is 7th mth..

7mo ago

I start with a simple sippy cup from ikea. Doesn’t need to suck very hard. That’s for a start

No it isnt too early. As long as you are ready for it. By all means feel free to introduce it to your LO. Some may take it as early as 6 months wheras some may take it when they are slightly older. http://www.babycenter.com/0_sippy-cup-dos-and-donts_1439508.bc

mybaby knew the word water eversince thats why 3 days ago i tried to shift from spoon to drinking cup whenever he's thirsty and he is drinking water 3 days now thru cup, i didn't find it hard for him to cope up just train him with the calmness of your voice.