My 19 months old boy doesn’t know how to suck from a straw. Is that normal? Any parents face the same issue too? How can I train him to suck?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My 25 month old doesn't know how to suck from a straw either, mainly because he doesn't have the chance to try 😅 He doesn't drink anything that requires a straw, neither do we provide packet drinks/straw bottles etc so he didn't have the need to. If your child needs to drink from a straw, he will learn how to eventually! We're transitioning from his milk/water bottle (with bottle teats) directly into open cups and bottles like what adults use so we have no actual plans in teaching him anytime soon - he can learn it when he needs to, but I don't see the need for a straw just yet :)

Read more

Use sippy cup as a means to transit from teat bottles. Once you notice that he is able to suck slightly, introduce the straw. Buy those bottles that don't require alot of effort to do the sucking. I use Tommie Tippee and found it better than Pigeon or Avent. Dun stress over this, eventually he will get it. My son only know how to drink from a straw bottle around 17 months. My daughter manage to do it at 1yo. Every kid is different.

Read more
7y ago

Are u referring to Tommie Tippee sippy cup? Do you have a pic of it? My boy only drinks from teats bottle and refused to drink from other bottles. I tried Avent sippy before, but in vain cos he couldn’t suck.

VIP Member

My boy never seem to learn how to drink from a sippy cup but one day just picked up drinking with a straw, after many many failed attempts of us showing him how to suck with the straw and him looking at us like we are aliens lol