How soon can I start reading to my son. My son is two and I can’t wait getting started!

53 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I started reading as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Talking to my LO in my womb while rocking her gently to sleep and soothing her senses. As her ears start to develop, she will begin to familiarize herself with my voice. Once she's out of the womb I will continue to read aloud to her, keeping a habit of maintaining this routine so that story time can be embedded into our daily lives. I do believe you can start anytime you are comfortable in doing so, and if your LO have positive results in this action. No matter what, the precious time and energy invested in your child is never given in vain. They will benefit with your loving intentions.

Read more

You can start to read to your son although he is only 2 years old. Since he is 2 years old already he should be able to comprehend simple stories quite well. You can start with bringing him to library more often and let him choose the books he likes from the shelves. Also, for young kids, they normally like to read flip and flap book as it is more interactive. Do it slowly and you will see your son starting to fall in love with books. For me, if my kid likes a particular book, I will invest in it and keep it at our home mini library so he can read it whenever he likes. Also, if my kids like certain authors, I will collect the series for them too.

Read more

There is no "perfect" time to start a child on his or her reading journey. But as a true blue bookworm, I'd say start as early as possible - the younger the better. My love of literature started when I was still in my mom's womb and she continued honing it after I was born by reading to me every night and when I was older, getting me books as gifts and taking me to the library on the weekends. Start now, even if baby doesn't understand, atleast he or she can be comforted by the sound of your voice :)

Read more

The earlier the better! Babies are much much smarter than we give them credit for. He may not understand the words yet but he'll learn how to associate the words with the pictures that comes along with it. You can come up with games like "Where is the apple?" and get him to point. Praise him if he's right. And since he's 2, read his favourite book a couple of times and let him finish your sentences. I did that with my daughter and now she loves reading!

Read more

Katy, I think you can start right away. Our daughter picks the books and we read them together. She is only 2 years, so the books have a lot of images and very little text on each page, but there is still a lot to talk about and learn as you go through. Read to her, I think is also fine. Don't be frustrated if your little one is distracted.

Read more
VIP Member

I started reading to my child when she was a newborn, so you're probably too late by now. Some mothers even read to their babies in the womb. Except no time is better than now. What are you waiting for, exactly? http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/parenting-articles/language-and-learning/when-should-i-start-reading-to-my-baby

Read more
5y ago

I started reading to my baby boy after we got back home from the hospital:) I’m singing, reading and let him listening to the music every day

There are story books specially for young ones. They will have a lot of pictures and just a couple of sentences per page. He will love looking at the pictures. As he starts getting older, level up gradually! He'll end up loving books!

Agreed... start today. He'll get attuned to your rhythm and tone, and learn to associate reading with love, warmth, enjoyment.. just a great bonding time for u both. You are incredibly lucky!

Start as soon as possible. Although for the first few years they may not understand or show any interest. Keep it going. One day they will start to recognise words.

I started when my Son is 4 months old. I don’t care if he understood back then. Never underestimate a child’s ability to learn at whatever age he is.