How should a father explain puberty to his daughter?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

fathers are the first exposure a girl has to the kind of personality the opposite sex is...that is how men/ boys are. it's believed that a boy looks for a wife who is like his mom and a daughter looks for a husband who is like her dad....the reason is the amount of time spent in understanding the nature of how men and women are. whatever information doesn't come from parents eventually comes from outsiders like tv, novels, internet, peers, friends movies etc...and it will never be as honest as a parent would say it to be. when parents talk about " taboo " subjects like sex, babies, menstruation, hormonal changes, body changes etc. it automatically is considered by the child as something very abnormal and something to look down upon. that's why there are pedophiles in this world who fill in these gaps caused by parents because they are uncomfortable talking to them. hence it requires doing some homework on the parents end first. today books, Wikipedia etc provide a lot on this. create an comfortable environment first. don't make it too obvious. just as you would talk about any subject, so can u start with this too. you can be seeing an ad on sanitary napkins and ask her if she knows what that is. you may be surprised that she already knows a lot. but still if u feel shes comfortable talking to you, then continue on it in a dignified manner. search the dictionary for simple choice of words you can use to form respectful sentences like " I understand that you are going to be of an age soon where you will be no longer my little baby but a beautiful grown woman". Ask her if in her school this subject is being discussed. if she says no then ask her if you could discuss with her. again I stress the importance of keeping your tone of voice calm and confident and it should not sound shaky and uncomfortable.

Read more