How can a new mother best look herself during confinement period ? What kind of food should a new mother eat & any restrictions for foods ?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Different cultures have different confinement practices but all of them work on the basis of the new mother getting ample rest, healing, bonding with baby and getting the hang of having a new baby with some help. Some cultures don't allow the mother to shower or bathe while some do. If you allowed to, a shower will be great -- it keeps you refreshed and when you feel good, you will look good :) Food wise, foods that help with the healing process, expulsion of air, building up of strength and increasing milk supply etc are usually part or a comprehensive confinement diet. Again, different cultures will have different variations of the same dishes. This article is a good read regarding a healthy confinement diet. http://sg.theasianparent.com/confinement-and-food/

Read more

Confinement is an important period for new moms to regain their energy & prepregnancy vitality. In the first 2 weeks, plenty of bed rest is recommended & newmoms should rest in a well ventilated environment, keeping away from wind & dampness factors that may aggravate water retention & painful joints. stay happy & relaxed. Use ginger, sesame oil, rice wine to keep the body warm & assist blood circulation. cold drinks & cooling food r to be avoided & these include veg like cabbage, radish, bitter gourd, cucumber as well as fruits like starfruit, watermelon, kiwi, pineapple.

Read more
VIP Member

i eat everything as per normal. Just rest more. I didn't want to follow top much confinement rules as i had a bad experience before. Constant confinement rules actually drove me nuts. I needed my sanity for me to care for my baby! so 2nd baby onwards i took confinement easy. I felt happier!

Read more
VIP Member

Avoid the food that is high in toxin (so call poisonous) like seafood, duck, or yam( because they say below will itchy, not sure how true).

Different people have different believes and practices. for me i did everything as per usual and didn't adjust anything either.

VIP Member

1) Red date water 2) buy the confinement soup package for 30 days if no confinement lady 3) Eat and rest well

VIP Member

i eat everything . Mostly my dishes has lots of ginger, sesame oil, dom, papaya, pig trotters n so on

Above two comments hit the spot, however do eat ginger at a minimum/avoid if you are breastfeeding.

VIP Member

Hi... you might find this article informative https://sg.theasianparent.com/confinement-and-food

Super Mum

Red dates! And try to nap more.. cause all the sleep deprivation is gonna make u look so tired