How much water do you drink during breast feeding period?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me, I just topped up additional 2 glasses of hot beverage such as Milo and Horlick during breastfeeding (morning and night). The rest of the time I just took normal amount of water that I used to take (i.e. 6-7 glasses of water). According to Kellymom.com, It is not necessary to force fluids;drinking to satisfy thirst is sufficient for most mothers to stay hydrated. Pay attention to your body’s signals – busy mothers often ignore thirst if there is nothing nearby to drink – try to keep a drink near where you usually breastfeed baby or at your desk at work. Pumping moms may find that they need to pay more attention to remembering to stay hydrated. Signs that you are not getting enough fluids include concentrated urine (darker, stronger smelling than usual) and constipation (hard, dry stools).

Read more

Most of my friends would drink whenever they feel thirsty (which is quite often). Some made it a point to drink more as they read that keeping themselves well hydrated will help maintain and increase supply.

I drink water every chance i have. Especially after feeding the baby as it makes me feel really tired and thirsty not to mention hungry too.

VIP Member

i drink whenever i can. I don't just drink water, i mix all sort of beverages including soup too

VIP Member

I drink Atleast 6-8 more glasses of water besides my usual 8.

VIP Member

At least 3 litres per day.

2-3 liter / day