How much do you give to your MIL for allowance to take care of your child?

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's weird when we have to pay them. My hubby and I give her the same amount whether with or without the baby. Groceries and all bills are on us. I believe it's an enjoyment for them to take care of their grandchildren and I don't wish to make it a monetary affair. Of course, we do take care of the baby on our own, bring my in-laws out for meals or just an extra $100-200 during festive seasons.

Read more

The amount really varies, depending on your family income. Good to check usually how much your hubby gives her for allowance. Then you can decide the top up amount. Some of my mummy friends give as little as $100. The max I have heard is $1,000 (with every Sunday off - and not including diapers and other supplies). For us, when my mum helped we "paid" her $700 for helping out.

Read more

We give certain amount for my MIL to buy groceries and do weekly marketing. The left over we let her to keep for her own use. My husband also give her monthly allowance but I never ask how much as I do not want to know and interfere. During festive seasons like chinese new year and mother's day, we will give ang bao as a token of appreciation.

Read more

Allowance should be the same irrespective of whether they take care of the child or not. You cannot put a price on every thing in your life.

VIP Member

If you want, you can follow the market rate of about $1,000 not including diapers and milk powder.

VIP Member

Up to your budget,sometimes can bring them out for meal.for me is between 200-400.

thanks

Passing $400 w or without child

$600