monthly savings

How many % of take home pay do you save every month?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

There is a 50-30-20 rule for savings. 50% of your income goes to necessities - food, bills, etc. 20% savings, paying off mortgages, etc. And 30% for entertainment! I personally prefer to switch the 20% and 30% around - save 30% and spend 20%. But of course that is not always okay - sometimes I spend more.

Read more

Does it matter? Rule of thumb is 10% but it also depends on ur inflow and necessary outflow. Necessary are things like rental and food and things u need for livelihood, not wants and def not too much entertainment. Some pple have to support more family members so their outflow is a lot too

Both husband and i are working but husband earns more. So our saving plan is, spend entire of husband's salary(~5k aft cpf) to pay off everything and save the entire of my salary(~3k aft cpf) with 1 kid at the moment. Has been trying out for 8mths. So far so gd.

7y ago

Yes, cox tts the only way to save money. If nt, it will be difficult to monitor and gauge. And it is wad he proposed. Somemore as couples, no longer abt "your money my money", we just have 1 joint account and when my salary comes in, hub will transfer to another acct for saving.

VIP Member

Like what Candace said, I follow the 50-20-30 rule too - but I mainly save in an endowment plan because I work as a freelancer so I don't have fixed paychecks. My income is usually just to cover our expenses and insurance, that's about it!

I manage to save in average 25% of my pay each month. If there's extra like bonuses etc, obviously I save more and that's always a great idea.

Less than 10%. When my second one goes to childcare, I may not even have any savings. 😞

7y ago

Same here. Childcare fees are insane. But also can't handle being a SAHM

Not sure , husband handles it. How much would you save ?

Rule of them is 15% savings, 25% rent or mortgage.

VIP Member

I tried 10% but i always end up touching it.

I tried to save, but always failed.