4 Replies

I think the recommended or common time that people are pumping is about 15-20 min of pump and then just some and expression after that - that is provided you are pumping at your regular routine and not looking to up or down your supply. Engorged breast can be because irregular pumping, u taken to o much milk booster and have not had the chance to empty your boobs. Generally you can drag +/- 1 hrs as compared to the regular timing - if something crops up and prevent you from pumping. Pumping too Long is ineffective and is actually stimulating for more production at the same time too. So...it depends on what you want. Usually after pumping, it is normal to be able to hand express a little out. If your let down is slow, you can consider alternating more between the expression and the massaging function during your pumping time. You could also consider a warm compress/Owen to your breast to help you relax and thus let down to come more easily

Thanks for ur reply too haha~ yeah I need to up my supply cos for my job nature sometimes it hard to pump regularly unless I am in office~ so everytime the interval is being dragged so I have to pump longer and also I have to hand express a lot to unclog or get all excess out if not it will clog further.. Maybe my boobs are prone to cloggin i duno but it seems like everytime if I dun empty well or pump regularly it clogs~ and btw I only take mothers milk tea (as n when) :)

I used to spend that much time as you in the past. However as time goes by then I learnt that by massaging before and during pumping I can be assured that my breasts are well emptied. However, if my breasts are engorged, I would have to pump out first (cos it's the fastest) then I proceed with hand express. I will not have much yield though. The other contributing factor to emptying the breasts effectively is to invest in a good breast pump. I have tried Medela Swing, Ardo Calypso, M1 and S1. S1 is very efficient in emptying my breasts then M1, followed by Ardo then Medela swing. However, I am also aware that there are some who does not share the same experience as me with regards to the breast pumps.

How long are you into postpartum? If you are having frequent clogs, suggest you look into the bra you are wearing i.e. Too tight or not enough support to bring your breasts up. You may try drinking warm water or taking a warm shower and aim the water at the side of your breasts nearer to your armpit, or warm compress while pumping. Try if this works for you. You may also want to consider looking for alternatives like trying a different breasts pump, pumping at more regular timing or tak

VIP Member

For the clogging issue, you can consider taking lecithin. Secondly massage before pumping, during pumping i will also massage and squeeze my breast to let the milk flow out faster. I usually take 45mins maximum as i have to care for my toddlers at home too.

I hand express too. I take about an hour that is provided breast is really full. Otherwise I don't empty my breast usually. I'll just pump about half an hour each side. Hand express.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles